Job ID: 209257
Location: ANTANANARIVO, T, Madagascar
Date Posted: Jun 30, 2020
Subcategory: Military Operations
Shift: Day Job
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Minimum Clearance Required: None
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: Public Trust
Potential for Remote Work: No
SAIC is seeking an embedded Senior Advisor to support the U.S. Department of State’s Global Defense Reform Program (GDRP) within the Madagascar Ministry of Defense (MOD). The Malagasy military seeks to restructure from a ground force heavy structure and better realign its forces to its present day mission and threats as an island nation with a large coastline. The senior advisor will be responsible in assisting Madagascar’s MOD to develop their force restructuring capacity.
The Global Defense Reform Program (GDRP) is a new defense reform capacity building program funded by the Department of State in close coordination with the Department of Defense that seeks to assist partner nations’ security forces with providing security in an effective, transparent, and accountable manner to civilian authorities, while advancing U.S. national security objectives.
Key Strategic Areas of Interest for this position are in the Defense/Security Force Restructure Reform Sector. Specifically the Advisor will assist the partner nation’s MOD with building capacity in some of these areas:
· Strategic planning
· Policy development
· Institutional development and change management
· Organizational assessment, design, and structuring
· Force structure development and readiness
· Personnel recruitment, retention, and retirement systems
· Evaluations and assessment
The duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
· Provide advice related to organizational development, interagency cooperation, and strategy development to assist MOD capacity development. Specifically focusing on their human resource (HR) and force management reform to assist with their force realignment.
· Provide advice to the MOD on ways to develop plans and strategies for a successful force restructure.
· Assess training needs and requirements for effective implementation. Provide policy, operations analysis, recommendations, and reports.
· Participate in senior level meetings, seminars, and exercises to provide expert level military input to help maintain and develop the ability to respond to emerging issues appropriately.
· Lead overseas assessments of host nation MOD capacity in GDRP area of focus, as well as assess the impact of planned or current programmatic activities and propose remedial actions. Draft memos and reports to provide expert analysis regarding MOD force restructure programs and assessments.
· Maintain knowledge of contemporary, professional military operational and management principles, techniques, and issues, and recommend which are appropriate for international application for force development and integration.
· Draft memos and reports to provide expert analysis regarding HR and financial resource management programs and assessments.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelors and 15 years or more of related experience; OR Masters and 13 years or more experience; OR PhD or JD and four (4) years or more experience.
Must have reached, at a minimum, the rank of O-5 in the military or equivalent (i.e. FS-02/GS-14) in a civilian capacity.
Prior demonstrated experience in Force Development or Force Integration.
U.S. citizen with either a Security Clearance or a Moderate Risk Public Trust (MRPT) Certification or the ability to be granted either will be required.
Excellent written and verbal English communication skills.
Proficient across MS Office Suite.
Medical requirements will be defined at the Task Order level, where applicable.
Prior experience living-abroad, especially on the African Continent.
Cultural knowledge of the region.
Foreign language proficiency (French).
Prior embassy experience.
Prior experience working with State Department in support of GDRP initiatives.
SAIC is a premier technology integrator solving our nation's most complex modernization and readiness challenges. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes high-end solutions in engineering, IT, and mission solutions. Using our expertise in existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions. We are 23,000 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has pro forma annual revenues of nearly $6.5 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For ongoing news, please visit our newsroom. For SAIC benefits information, see Working at SAIC. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability