SAIC is seeking a SQL Database Administrator to support our customer at the Human Resources Command in Fort Knox, KY, while working from home. Candidate is expected to perform troubleshooting, administration, monitoring, tuning, and operations functions on SQL and Oracle databases for mission critical application for a federal government agency. Must be able to understand advanced database technology concepts at a detailed level, ask the right questions, and work well with vendors, SME's, engineers, management and customers. Excellent communication skills are important including an ability to explain complex database concepts to all levels of system users and management.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide real time support to maintain the necessary functionality and respond to issues as they arise for SQL in addition to Oracle.
- Ensures availability, security, integrity, and performance of assigned databases.
- Recommends and implements data models and database designs that support efficient data access.
- Exercises critical thinking and problem-solving when resolving database performance, capacity, replication, and other data issues.
- Installs and configures database management software and applicable options, packs and patches while adhering to standards.
- Collaborates with developers and programmers to understand the potential architectural impacts of different database strategies and coding practices.
- Develops and implements database deliverables, such as conceptual designs, logical designs, and capacity planning, external data interface specifications, data loading plans, data maintenance plans, and security policies.
- Builds IT solutions to ensure they meet the business needs while maintaining a focus on enterprise goals and integration strategies.
- Partners with Business Teams to assess how technologies can best streamline processes and/or add business value.
- Keeps current with key technology, business and industry trends.
- Participates in disaster recovery and business continuity planning.
- Develops innovative approaches to solving problems.
- Follows both industry best practices and standards in all database areas.
- Automates repetitive and/or error-prone tasks.
- Schedules and manages jobs for data transfers and sundry procedures and monitors performance and impact on operations.
- Analyzes long-term database performance trends to optimize database and application performance.
- Configures, supports, and optimizes replication.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Able to work successfully in a fast-paced operations and development environment.
Required Education and Experience:
- Five (5) years of SQL Database Administration experience and a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related discipline or a Master’s degree and three (3) years or more experience. Four (4) years of additional related experience will be considered in lieu of a Bachelor’s degree.
- US citizen / no dual citizenship.
- DOD Secret Clearance Required, but an Interim Secret is acceptable to start work and SAIC will process this for the qualified candidate.
- CompTIA Security Plus Certification is required prior to start date.
SAIC is a premier technology integrator solving our nation's most complex modernization and readiness challenges. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes high-end solutions in engineering, IT, and mission solutions. Using our expertise in existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions.
We are 25,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has pro forma annual revenues of nearly $7.1 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For ongoing news, please visit our newsroom. For SAIC benefits information, see Working at SAIC. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability