SAIC is seeking a highly motivated Sr. Network Engineer Principal to join our team in Oak Ridge, TN.
- Provide network and network security design, engineering and support for mission-critical applications and network management, in a managed services provider role for a single customer.
- Work with the Network and Security Service Delivery Manager, as the Network Lead to assure delivery of a highly available, high quality and secure network.
- This role will be responsible for the maintenance of the network, while supporting the implementation of new systems, and infrastructure recommendations and upgrades in a dynamic environment.
- Provide hands-on technical support for WAN, Data Center Networks, proxy, load-balancing and security devices.
- Interface with key customer contacts, project managers, other service delivery managers and staff, subcontractors, support personnel, and other stakeholders.
- Directly execute network services projects, and operations activities.
- Interface with SAIC program and senior management in support of the achievement of service level, financial and technical objectives.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- 24X7 accountability for the customer’s WAN and Data Center and Cloud networks.
- Designs enterprise-wide infrastructure specifications, configurations and solutions. Possesses a deep understanding of customer’s enterprise architecture, network hardware, network design, network monitoring tools and vendors.
- Possesses an in-depth knowledge of technology and is able to present and advise the business implications of a particular solution or a change in technological direction. Is able to routinely apply business insights to guide and influence the design of technically robust solutions.
- Relied upon as an expert in relevant technical subject areas. Able to identify, evaluate, and selecting new products and recommend new technologies or equipment being considered for use.
- Communicates well in cross-functional group settings. Excellent verbal and written skills to communicate details to cross-functional teams. Is able to communicate technical concepts in non-technical terms or in ways that are easy for others to understand.
- Establishes relationships with project managers and analysts. Presents alternative technical scenarios for consideration to resolve business issues.
- Participates in enterprise-level technical and architectural decision making.
- Provides leadership in proactively recognizing and resolving issues. Continually strives to improve customer’s technical infrastructure and make improvements in processes and practices.
- Assign tasks and monitors the work of less senior engineers. Supervises staff in absence of management.
- Develops and provides regular reporting to customer and SAIC mgmt. team.
- Maintains network security through installation, configuration, and maintenance of L2/L3 access controls, firewalls, etc.
- Works closely with the Information Security team to lock down critical resources and to monitor all systems for breaches.
- Maintains accurate network diagrams and associated documentation.
- Strong understanding of industry-standard change control methodologies.
- Demonstrated ability to design, document, test, and deploy complex network infrastructure.
- Desire and ability to learn new technologies
- Strong interpersonal, communication (both written and oral) and time management skills.
- Strong troubleshooting skills; candidates must be capable of analyzing and resolving complex technical problems.
- Ability to work with multiple project and work streams concurrently, with an ability to deliver work products on time and within budget.
- Ability to work on remote customer networks with no hands on capability.
Technical Skills & Abilities Preferred
- Routing including BGP, OSPF, EIGRP and Static Routing
- IP Addressing including VLSM, Subnetting and Network Summarization
- Switching including VLANs, LACP, 802.1Q, Spanning Tree
- MPLS management
- Site to site VPN
- Remote access VPN
- Packet Capture/Analysis
- Network Address Translation (NAT)
- Network Architecture/Design
- Understanding of Layered Security Architecture
- AWS or other Cloud deployment of infrastructure
- Job requires occasional travel.
- Job requires ability to work at SAIC Oak Ridge locations and remotely.
- Job requires ability to maintain a work schedule in support of contact in Pacific Time zone. Majority of work days will be 10am to 7pm ET.
- Able to obtain and maintain Secret level security clearance.
Education, Certification, and Experience requirements
- Bachelor’s degree and 14 years’ experience. Additional experience will be considered in lieu of degree.
- CCNP – demonstrated technical experience and ability will be considered in lieu of certification.
SAIC is a premier technology integrator solving our nation's modernization and readiness challenges. Our offerings across defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets include high-end solutions in engineering, IT, and mission outcomes. We integrate the best components from our portfolio with our partner's ecosystem to deliver innovative and effective solutions. We are 25,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. Headquartered in Reston, VA, SAIC has annual revenues of nearly $7.1 billion. For information, visit saic.com or Working at SAIC for benefits details. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer empowering people no matter their race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status. We strive to create a diverse, inclusive and respectful work culture that values all.