SAIC is looking for a Mechanical Engineering Fabrication Technician to join the team in Hanahan, SC. Selected candidate will support our engineering team integration and production effort for military rolling platforms and sub-assemblies. The technician may also support testing of platform and sub-assemblies. Position will require preparation for bonding, trimming and drilling of various types of composites and metals. This position requires a sense of urgency, attention to detail, flexibility within constraints of defined processes, ability to multi-task and the ability to work independently. The ideal candidate must be motivated with the ability to work to assigned deadlines and able to work in a fast-paced environment. Candidate will be required to follow all safety and environmental policies and programs; must be able to use personal safety devices as required by company policy; report any activities that could be detrimental to safety and/or the loss of productivity; report any injuries when they occur. Must be willing to cross-train into other areas as required to meet production schedules and/or manufacturing needs.
- Operate fabrication machinery as needed.
- Design and construct templates and fixtures, using hand tools.
- May make sketches and rough layouts, record and analyze data, make calculations and estimates, and report their findings.
- Review engineering drawings and blueprints to determine materials requirements and task sequences
- Set up, operate fabricating machines such as brakes, rolls, shears, flame cutters, grinders, and drill presses to bend, cut, form, punch, drill, or otherwise form, and assemble metal components.
- Set up face blocks, jigs, and fixtures .Lay out and examine metal stock or work pieces to be processed in order to ensure that specifications are met.
- Locate and mark work piece bending and cutting lines, allowing for stock thickness, machine and welding shrinkage, and other component specifications.
- Overhead crane operation. All employees are required to assist in plant housekeeping. Including, but not limited to - sweeping, emptying trash barrels, proper storage of chemicals, etc.
- Quality inspection
- Material handling
Education and Experience:High School Diploma and a minimum of two years of relevant experience.Skills:
Basic math capabilities.
Ability to accurately measure within specified tolerances, including effective use of measuring equipment (calipers, protractor, tape measure, etc.)
Ability to read specifications, shop drawings, schematics, and blueprints
Must be able to operate basic cutting equipment
Proficient in flame and plasma cutting torches
Proficient with identification of and proper use of hand tools
Capable of using basic precision inspection tools.Physical Demands:
Must be able to work in a non-controlled climate - i.e. no air conditioning in the plant
Must be able to lift 60 lbs. on a consistent basis
SAIC is a premier technology integrator solving our nation's most complex modernization and readiness challenges. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes high-end solutions in engineering, IT, and mission solutions. Using our expertise in existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions. We are 25,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has pro forma annual revenues of nearly $7.1 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For ongoing news, please visit our newsroom. For SAIC benefits information, see Working at SAIC. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability