Position is in NASA’s Operations Management Center (NOMC), a 24X7 network operation center, and requires supporting non-standard shifts and non-standard work weekends. Candidate will be required to work weekends and holidays.
Candidate will support the network operation’s day-to-day activities in support of NASA missions.
Candidate will use a variety of network management and diagnostic tools for monitoring, troubleshooting communications-related and node/application related problems.
Position requires monitoring and some maintenance assistance of Cisco Routers & Switches, Junipers Routers.
Candidate will also need to learn to operate NASA unique hardware items.
Candidate will be working directly with other NASA centers and customers to help resolve real-time network and dataflow problems which are unique to NASA.
Candidate will be involved in a number of activities including the testing and implementation of new network services.
Candidate must be able to pass both a written and practical certification test within 180 days of hire.
Education and Experience:
- Ideal candidate must be able to grasp a wide range of unique skills, able to think and respond quickly to real-time data flow problems.
- Candidate must have fundamental knowledge of TCP/IP technology including IP addressing, subnet masking.
- Knowledge of help desk operations and excellent writing and oral communication skills.
- Candidate must be an effective communicator and be able to coordinate network and customer related problems with other technical sections.
- Outgoing with a pleasant personality and a positive can-do attitude. Candidate must have strong multi-tasking skills and be available to work after hours and weekends (as required).
- Knowledge of serial interfaces including RS232, V.35 and RS 449 preferred
- Knowledgeable in WAN protocols such as SONET; Experience with TCP/IP and IP addressing schemes, network monitoring tools (HP Openview, MRTG) and trouble ticket processes (Remedy is a plus); Hands-on experience with industry products (Cisco, Juniper, and Ciena are highly desired)
- Experience in supporting WAN & LAN connectivity, telecommunications (VoIP) or internet technology
- Knowledgeable of transmission principals including T1, T3, DS-3 &OC-3/48
- Experience with network analysis tools (Matt’s Trace Route (MTR) and Multi Routers Traffic Grapher (MRTG) are a plus); Experience in performing traceroutes, executing ping test and a strong working knowledge in Unix and Microsoft
- Strong knowledge and hands on experience with data analyzers, network probes and other network diagnostic and performance measurement devices
- Industry standard certifications (CCNA, CCNP or JNCIA are a strong plus);
BS degree in a related field & 2 years experience or High School & 4 years experience.
Candidate must possess a Secret Clearance or Higher
SAIC is a premier technology integrator solving our nation's most complex modernization and readiness challenges. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes high-end solutions in engineering, IT, and mission solutions. Using our expertise in existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions. We are 25,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has pro forma annual revenues of nearly $7.1 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For ongoing news, please visit our newsroom. For SAIC benefits information, see Working at SAIC. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability