The Department of State, Bureau of Information Resource Management (IRM) Telecommunications, Wireless, and Data (TWD) Division provides its users with mission critical domestic LAN/WAN data services across multiple locations in the DC Metro Area and remote locations. In support of these services, the Data Network Operational Engineering Team Lead leads a team of data O&M (Operations & Maintenance) engineers who support data LAN/WAN services, with a particular focus on small project engineering initiatives (Telecommunications Service Requests – TSRs) as well as day-to-day O&M of the network. Engineering support includes planned service interruptions, planned equipment installations, and infrastructure support for data services.
The Team Lead provides leadership, mentoring, and in-depth day-to-day technical guidance to include day-to-day knowledge of all O&M activities, plans, system upgrades/enhancements, as well as ongoing projects and day-to-day moves, adds, changes (MACs) working closely with the TWD Service Delivery Manager, Project Management Office, and other TWD Team Leads.
Description of Team Lead Duties:
- Manages a Team of 8-10 network O&M Engineers and reports to the Service Delivery Manager
- Coaches and mentors the team in industry best practices in information technology service delivery and the appropriate behaviors associated with building a high performing team
- Promotes a collaborative team environment that fosters creativity, innovation and high performance
- Responsible for meeting established Performance Based Metrics, Operational Metrics and customer satisfaction objectives
- Monitors team performance in near real-time, perform empirical analysis of data and adjust resources to dynamically meet demands
- Works with Service Delivery Manager to identify training opportunities, policy and procedure development or enhancements, operations monitoring and controls and continuous process improvement, and sets appropriate goals for the staff and monitors progress against the plan
Description of Team O&M Duties
- Takes ownership of major incidents to closure facilitating optimal system availability
- Escalates and communicates as appropriate with internal and customer stakeholders and coordinates with other support organizations across the enterprise
- Monitors daily activities of the production environment, including leading and participating in daily standups, to ensure timely and effective reporting, tracking, follow-up and communications
- Promptly responds to escalated tickets and/or issues, analyzes reported problems and performs thorough and accurate troubleshooting steps to promptly resolve issues
- Responsible for identifying, coordinating, and implementing initiatives, projects and activities that create efficiencies and optimize technical processing. Evaluates risks and solutions before action to ensure plans are timely, realistic and positive
- Leads problem management process providing inputs to root cause analyses and suggests workarounds and/or solutions for recurring issues
- Develop and maintains relationships with other support organizations including development and implementation teams
- Accountable for change and configuration management for all voice and data assets.
- Diagnoses, troubleshoot, and resolve hardware and/or other network problems, and replace defective components associated with both data and voice infrastructures
- Conduct Route Cause Analysis (RCA) and After-action Review (AAR) following unplanned outages
- Supports Move, Add, and Change requests for the data network to include day-to-day requests/orders and Projects
- Provides network performance statistics and reports and recommends technical enhancements to the network
- Interfaces with other IRM Support Teams on system/network infrastructure problems and advises management on technical improvements and/or solutions to identified problems and/or gaps
- Identifies and recommends solutions, products and services to support the enterprise's accomplishments of business goals or technical needs
- Researches, evaluates and stays current on emerging tools, techniques and technologies.
- Contributes to systems infrastructure plans based on an understanding of the customer's organizational direction, technical context and business needs
- Contributes to the creation of new policies and procedures for Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
The ideal candidate will have a strong sense of commitment to perform on-call support functions as scheduled, providing timely responses to required system support after normal business hours and on weekends. Additionally, the candidate should have an eye for detail, ability to multi-task, organize priorities, and work in a systematic style following Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and guides.
Required Education and Experience:
Bachelors and nine (9) years or more experience or no degree with additional years of experience in lieu of degree to include:
- 5 years or more of core routing and switching experience
- 3-5 years of engineering team management experience
Required Skills and Attributes:
- Strong LAN/WAN/MAN design and migration experience with a focus on WAN services (Point-to-Point, DMVPN, METRO ETHERNET, VPLS, TLS, and MPLS)
- Strong routing, switching, trouble-shooting, LAN/WAN protocols (Layer 2, RSTP, VLANS, Layer 3, TCPIP, VLSM, BGP, OSPF, MacSec, DMVPN, IPSEC, etc.)
- Skills troubleshooting access-lists, IPv4 and IPv6 issues across varying routing protocols such as OSPF, BGP, EIGRP and Static Routing
- Works extensively with Cisco solutions and products
- Familiarity and working knowledge of telecommunication circuit types (e.g., P2P T1/T3, , IP Ethernet)
- Understand and have the ability to implement Cisco router, switch, and ASA products
- Strong interpersonal, written and oral skills. From time to time, candidate may be asked to present project/incident status to customer
- Ability to conduct research on networking products with various vendors to accommodate changing customer requirements
- Ability to work in a team-oriented collaborative environment while being highly motivated to take the lead on projects
- Cisco CCNA and CCNP Certifications or equivalent
- Juniper Experience
Secret required to start with eligibility to obtain TS or TS/SCI. Active TOP SECRET clearance a plus.
SAIC is a premier technology integrator solving our nation's most complex modernization and readiness challenges. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes high-end solutions in engineering, IT, and mission solutions. Using our expertise in existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions. We are 23,000 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has pro forma annual revenues of nearly $6.5 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For ongoing news, please visit our newsroom. For SAIC benefits information, see Working at SAIC. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability