Job ID: 202261
Location: WASHINGTON, DC, United States
Date Posted: Jun 18, 2020
Category: Engineering and Sciences
Subcategory: Electrical Engr
Shift: Day Job
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Minimum Clearance Required: None
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: Public Trust
Potential for Remote Work: No
SAIC is seeking a Sr. Power Systems Engineer to join our FAA team. The ideal candidate will:
• Provide engineering consultation for compliance with FAA and industry standards and best practices
• Provide recommendations for solutions in all phases of the system’s lifecycle including: contract, policy, site survey, design and design review, and implementation.
• Be responsible for applying engineering experience theories, best practices, and knowledge to serve as an subject matter expert (SME) for major Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) large-scale program that transform, modernize and sustain the National Airspace System (NAS)
• Play a lead role in performing multiple, varying, and complex assignments
• Be responsible for tracking and developing NAS system requirements and documentation
• Advise on translating requirements into system, hardware and software designs and interface specifications
• Prepare and present briefings and recommendations to varied levels of management, and audiences• Represent the organization and agency in meetings and discussions with representatives of industry, agency advisory committees, and external customers, if required
• Provide analysis and recommend resolution for field issues
• Interpret data including but not limited to inventory, tracking site restoration, tracking installation of system modifications, and tracking resolution of site issues or problems and contribute to reports that focus on maintaining safe, efficient, productive, and cost-effective operation of the NAS
• Plan, monitor, and conduct special projects, studies, and initiatives as requested
• Analyze problems, identify significant risk factors, gather and interpret pertinent data, and apply established rules and procedures in order to recommend effective solutions
JOB DESCRIPTION: Researches, designs, develops, modifies, evaluates and tests a variety of electronic equipment and systems, including radar and radiation detection equipment; radio, television and other communications equipment and systems; circuitry components; analog and digital computers; and control and test equipment. Conducts experimental tests on equipment and evaluates results. Develops specifications for selecting components and equipment to use. May also review vendors' abilities to support development. Complete understanding and wide application of technical principles, theories, and concepts in the field. General knowledge of other related disciplines. Receives assignments in the form of objectives and establishes goals to meet outlined objectives. Provides direction to employees according to established policies and management guidance. Work is reviewed by management to measure whether objectives have been met. PROBLEM COMPLEXITY: Provides technical solutions to a wide range of difficult problems where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors. Solutions are imaginative, thorough, practicable and consistent with organization objectives. FREEDOM TO ACT: Works under only general direction. Independently determines and develops approach to solutions. Work is reviewed upon completion for adequacy in meeting objectives. Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions. IMPACT: Contributes to completion of specific programs and projects. Failure to obtain results or erroneous decisions or recommendations would typically result in serious program delays and considerable expenditure of resources. LIASON: Frequent inter-organizational and outside customer contacts. Represents organization in providing solutions to difficult technical issues associated with specific projects.
• Typically requires BS degree and 12 – 15 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 10 – 13 years of prior relevant experience.
• May possess a Doctorate in technical domain.
• Power engineering experience is a must.
• Other electrical engineering discipline must have knowledge of power systems.
• US Citizen with the ability to obtain Public Trust
• The ideal candidate will have strong writing skills exhibited through thesis or dissertation papers at academic institutions; white papers, or publications at nationally/internationally recognized technical organizations.
• The ideal candidate will have knowledge of FAA systems, technical policies, standards and orders.
• Knowledge and direct work experience in power system is a must.
• Experience with some or all of the following are required: short circuit coordination, arc flash studies, engine generator, UPS, grounding, lightning protection.
• Advanced MS office skills, (Word, Excel, PPT) Access, FAA systems and cuff records.
SAIC is a premier technology integrator solving our nation's most complex modernization and readiness challenges. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes high-end solutions in engineering, IT, and mission solutions. Using our expertise in existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions. We are 25,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has pro forma annual revenues of nearly $7.1 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For ongoing news, please visit our newsroom. For SAIC benefits information, see Working at SAIC. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability