Job ID: 201183
Location: GREENBELT, MD, United States
Date Posted: Jan 23, 2020
Category: Quality Assurance
Subcategory: Qual Assurance
Shift: Day Job
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Minimum Clearance Required: None
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: None
Potential for Teleworking: No
DescriptionSAIC is seeking a Senior Spaceflight Hardware Quality Engineer on the OMES II contract at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center in support of the Mission Control System segment of the Ground System for Restore-L. The position is located in Greenbelt, MD.
Performs required Senior Spaceflight Hardware Quality Engineering functions throughout the spaceflight hardware development lifecycle and oversees the work
of junior quality assurance engineers. Examples of responsibilities include:
- Perform in-process and final hardware inspections for compliance with applicable aerospace workmanship standards (NASA Workmanship, IPC J- standard, etc.)
- Witness engineering activities related to hardware development including integration and test, vibration, and thermal vacuum procedures ensuring all steps are properly completed and documented accurately and in a timely manner.
- Provide senior review and approval for engineering documentation including drawings, specifications, procedures, work order travelers, and technical plans to ensure compliance with agency, center, and mission requirements. Specifically, ensures safety, quality, and mission assurance requirements are properly represented or included. Also provides review and approval to documentation generated by more junior members of the quality assurance team.
- Perform supplier surveillance, oversight, and management activities at subcontractor facilities including, but not limited to: initial process capability assessments and quality management system evaluations and audits, in- process and final product inspections at mandatory inspection points (MIPs), critical activity and test witnessing, document review and approval, material review board participation, and supplier corrective action request (SCAR) issuance and resolution.
- Providing expertise and guidance in ensuring all statutory, regulatory, and technical requirements are complied with during development. Use knowledge of spaceflight hardware development to assist engineers in developing compliant, streamlined, and efficient solutions to engineering challenges.
- Perform ad-hoc data and process reviews and analyses as required to assist in determining root causes and effective corrective actions for problems, failures, and anomalies.
- Participate in technical reviews, material review boards (MRBs), and failure review boards (FRBs) as required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree (preferably in an engineering-related discipline) and 14 years of aerospace hardware quality-related experience.
- Must be able to pass a Government background investigation.
- Must have hands-on hardware workmanship inspection experience.
- Experience operating in controlled workspaces due to electrostatic discharge (ESD) sensitive device or cleanroom protocols.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills and ability to interact with individuals at all levels of a variety of organizations.
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time during some phases of development.
Ability to obtain and maintain NASA workmanship certifications.
with spaceflight hardware development, fabrication, and integration, NASA preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to accurately assess situations and ensure issues are escalated to the level of technical and management personnel appropriate to the level of risk posed.
Desired QualificationsDESIRED EXPERIENCE
SAIC is a premier technology integrator solving our nation's most complex modernization and readiness challenges. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes high-end solutions in engineering, IT, and mission solutions. Using our expertise in existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions. We are 23,000 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has pro forma annual revenues of nearly $6.5 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For ongoing news, please visit our newsroom. For SAIC benefits information, see Working at SAIC. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability