This person is responsible for maintaining the operational status of Linux OS-based servers and appliances and will work closely with other members of the IT Operations department on the program. The duties of this position are to provide broad spectrum Linux support to complex enterprise solutions.
The candidate will be required to work both independently and collaboratively to address incidents, problems, provide
access management, and contribute to infrastructure enhancement projects. The candidate will operate Linux OS based platforms and services, including enterprise cross-platform integration with LDAP, Active Directory, DNS and other
standard services on a regular basis. Responsibility also includes monitoring alerts, managing the ticket queue, and
keeping documentation up to date. Candidate is required to have strong analysis and decision-making skills with the
ability to participate in briefings, participate in technical cross-functional meetings, strong commitment to process, and
understanding of change and configuration management principles.
Candidate must be willing to provide 24/7 coverage (on-call rotation) and participate in after-hours Linux OS Update
patching on a rotational basis.
- Operation and maintenance of Linux server systems running Red Hat Enterprise Linux (5, 6, and 7) and limited selection
other non-RHEL based servers.
- Operation of Linux OS infrastructures including local user administration and Active Directory-integrated user
- Provide tier II support for the IT Service Desk.
- Participate in after-hours weekly shifts that respond to business emergency requests (on-call rotation).
- Participate in after-hours monthly patching rotation.
- Installations of new software and system upgrades including evaluation and installation of Linux patches.
- Actively monitor systems and resolve issues.
- Collaborate with the rest of the Linux IT Operations team to perform project tasks in support of large projects
- Bachelor's Degree and 5+ years of relevant experience. Additional work experience is acceptable in lieu of a Degree.
- Working knowledge of Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server for versions 5, 6 and 7. Comparable experience with CentOS,
Ubuntu, openSUSE or Debian may be substituted but seeking candidate with primary experience in maintaining RHEL
- Deeper knowledge of RHEL than is required of a Red Hat level 1 technical support engineer or for simply passing a
- Good knowledge of Linux-PAM (Pluggable Authentication Modules for Linux), SSH, SMTP, SNMP, NFS, and other Linux
- Ability to set up and troubleshoot problems with networking between RHEL and non-RHEL platforms such Windows
- Ability to learn new products and technologies.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Outstanding customer service and time management skills
- Demonstrated ability of end-to-end problem management and ownership
- Ability to create and manage work instructions, system and project documentation.
- Working knowledge of authentication functions and protocols such as LDAP, Kerberos, and Active Directory
- Scripting knowledge to automate tasks and processes utilizing bash, ksh, python, etc.
- Understanding of system security concepts and mitigation strategies (POAMs, vulnerabilities) to include test and planning
- Conceptual knowledge of SAN and or NAS systems.
- Ability to manage endpoints with enterprise tools such as Red Hat Satellite, Red Hat Spacewalk or IBM BigFix.
- Experience with backup solutions, particularly Tivoli Storage Manager and Veeam.
- Red Hat Certified System Administrator or equivalent a PLUS
SAIC is a premier technology integrator solving our nation's most complex modernization and readiness challenges. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes high-end solutions in engineering, IT, and mission solutions. Using our expertise in existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions.
We are 23,000 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has pro forma annual revenues of nearly $6.5 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For ongoing news, please visit our newsroom. For SAIC benefits information, see Working at SAIC. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability