SAIC has a rewarding position supporting the NASA Safety and Mission Assurance Engineering Contract (SMAEC II) open at the Johnson Space Center in Houston helping to continue our exploration of space. Come join our team and help us continue the mission of space exploration.
For SAIC’s contractual support to the NASA Johnson Space Center (JSC) Safety and Mission Assurance (S&MA) Directorate, Quality Engineers perform multi-area in-line Quality Engineering (QE) tasks for critical government furnished equipment (GFE) space flight hardware to establish and/or assign government mandatory inspection points (GMIPs).
GFE hardware is built by NASA for NASA programs such as International Space Station (ISS), Orion, Extravehicular Activity (EVA), and various other NASA exploration initiatives. QE support tasks include but are not limited to the following:
1. Review work authorizing documents and engineering drawings for compliance to NASA/JSC requirements and GMIP assignments.
2. Perform critical review of design changes, oversee failure investigations, develop corrective actions, and prepare investigation reports.
3. Review hardware and test facility documentation to identify pre-test status, and provide QE support as required on behalf of the test facility.
4. Perform flight equipment acceptance reviews to determine limited life status, certification status, and open work/issues.
5. Evaluate new designs for flight and critical ground support equipment to assure compliance with NASA and voluntary consensus industry workmanship requirements and provide recommendations to improve manufacturability/inspectability, and increase reliability.
6. Evaluate GFE change requests as needed. Perform real-time evaluations of flight equipment manufacturing issues and failures to determine root cause and provide recommended manufacturing process improvements and/or hardware repair or rework methods and procedures.
Develop and/or evaluate new or revised inspection requirements, special processes, and workmanship standards for design and manufacture of high reliability equipment and systems for space flight applications.
1. Provide technical and quality support and guidance to less experienced quality personnel.
2. Complete all necessary GFE QE training/certification curriculum, and once certified, serve as mentor to other GFE QE personnel during their on-the-job training.
3. (Optional) Pursue certification in the secondary discipline of GFE Safety, and complete all necessary training/ certification curriculum. Once completed, the GFE QE would be considered “cross-trained” in GFE Safety and may be asked on occasions to perform tasks such as GFE project hazard and FMEA/CIL review, GFE project anomaly support, and GFE project design review support.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering (Electrical, Mechanical or Aerospace/Aeronautical) or STEM.
- A minimum of 5-10 years of related experience in performing QE tasks associated with the manufacture, assembly, processing, and inspection.
- PC literacy with proficiency in the use of Microsoft office applications including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Strong presentation skills in technical forums as well as superior verbal and written communication skills
- Adaptability and flexibility regarding changes in task assignments and deadlines.
- Ability to work both independently and as a member teams.
- Experience using electronic data/documentation systems.
- Ability to receive and execute specific assignments with minimal supervision.
- Ability to maintain positive working relationships with NASA customer, peers, and manager/supervisor
- Prior experience supporting NASA GFE projects from a hardware and/or operations perspective
- Working knowledge of NASA standards and program requirements documents governing the design, development, manufacture, assembly, processing, testing, inspection, and certification of space flight hardware
SAIC is a premier technology integrator, solving our nation's most complex modernization and systems engineering challenges across the defense, space, federal civilian, and intelligence markets. Our robust portfolio of offerings includes high-end solutions in systems engineering and integration; enterprise IT, including cloud services; cyber; software; advanced analytics and simulation; and training. We are a team of 23,000 strong driven by mission, united purpose, and inspired by opportunity. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $6.5 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For information on the benefits SAIC offers, see Working at SAIC. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability