Responsibilities – Tier 2 Support
End User Computing Support provides responsive and effective
technical assistance and Tier 2 help desk support to the NIMH User Community
for end user computing related issues. When operating in the Tier 2
function, the individual will be expected to work independently with minimal to
no supervision to solve complex hardware and software issues in both Windows
and mac OS environments.
Primary location of this position: Rockville, MD 20852
Primary work shift of this position: 9:30am-6:00pm
IT Support Hours: 6:30am-6:00pm
Occasional on-call shifts: 6:00pm - 8:00pm M-F; 8:00am – 4:00pm
Core Services include:
- Provide onsite and remote technical support for:
and problem resolution for NIMH approved Windows and Apple based desktop and
laptop computers, peripherals, and communications.
and troubleshooting NIMH approved mobile devices including, but not limited to:
- Mobile Broadband cards
NIMH standard software applications, including but not limited to: Microsoft
Office 365, Adobe Acrobat DC, ActivClient, Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility
of non-standard software with prior approval from ISSOs
- Evaluate and provide recommendations for NIMH standard computing
platforms and devices.
- Update the inventory of computers and peripherals by completing
appropriate forms, both physical and on-line, and working with the NIMH
property control persons.
- Manage the NIMH IT inventory by working with property officers,
government COTR’s, Tech Leads and branch management. This includes
participation in procurement, shipping and receiving, physical placement,
collection and preparation for disposal.
- Execute the technology refreshment program for NIMH computers and
peripherals; image/refresh: initial image build, updating an image and applying
- Perform roughly 10-20 customer laptop refreshes per month, both
Windows and Macs.
- Utilize NIMH approved tools and techniques to execute the refresh
- Assist in the evaluation of equipment for purchase and
- Physically place and remove end user hardware for moves, adds or
changes when required.
- Track down computers that have not checked in to the Windows
(SCCM) or Apple management servers (AirWatch) in over 30 days and ensure that
agents and all security patches are up to date.
- Support the NIMH Information Systems Security Officer (ISSO) in
protecting the IT infrastructure against IT security threats by providing
desktop and peripheral security.
- Work with the ISSO and Property Teams when a device has been
- Reset PINs and renew certificates for NIH PIV cards for NIMH staff
using NIMH supplied workstation and software.
- Evaluate new and upgraded end user software applications and
provide guidance for use and deployment at NIMH.
- Maintain content for End User Computing ITIL IT Services
SharePoint and respond to inquiries and requests originating from that site.
- Support NIMH Council sessions by assisting members in connecting
to the guest Wi-Fi, setting up WebEx, loading slides, configuring Chromebooks
for use as backup devices.
- Manage and deploy NIMH encrypted thumb drives.
- Create Cloud Exchange-based resource and room accounts as needed.
- Provide on-site Desktop Support services and at times in addition
to those defined as "attended hours." Attended Hours are 6:30
am to 6:00 pm, Monday through Friday, excluding Government holidays.
Unattended Hours are those hours during Monday through Friday, weekends and
Government holidays that are not covered by the designated attended hours. Occasional
on-call support is required for a small number of VIP’s until 8:00pm M-F, and
until 4:00pm weekends and holidays.
- Support all NIMH standards for desktop hardware and software
configurations established for NIMH end-users located in 6001 Executive
Boulevard, 6101 Executive Boulevard and a large telework population. On
occasion, projects and/or other gaps in coverage may require additional onsite support
in Bldg. 10, 31, 15k, 35, or 49 on campus.
- Ensure that each end-user’s computer is properly configured when
modification to the standard NIMH configuration is required.
- Follow NIMH Standard Operating Procedures when loaning out devices
for those traveling within the continental U.S. and those traveling
- Administer all NIMH user accounts including creation, management
- Provide conference room support for the telecommunications and Audio-Visual
- Provide enterprise systems management by collaborating with
internal and external entities as identified by NIMH administration.
Required Education and Experience:
Candidates must have experience with or the ability to do the following:
- Work with minimal supervision and will have great leeway in decision making, i.e. design and construction of new conference rooms; optional configuration, i.e. cameras, phone systems, projectors; redesign of facilities; lighting; sound; networking; cabling; system integration.
- Research and analyze alternatives to improve A/V quality and usability, provide custom AV small conference room and office recommendations and alternatives both orally and in writing directly to the client.
- Self-manage all AV workload across approximately 14 conference rooms on campus.
- Review proposed A/V designs for Institute conferences rooms and provide feedback.
- Document A/V setup for Institute office and conference rooms and provide instructions for use.
- Provide technical training to IT Support staff for A/V setup and support.
- Configure and setup A/V equipment to support Institute web conferencing activities
- Provide initial setup and instructions for scheduled meeting events
- Assist with web conferencing log-in, setup, and configuration
- Testing and troubleshooting A/V equipment issues
- Verify applicable equipment has been shut down in each room at the end of each day.
- Verify applicable equipment is turned on and functioning in each room the beginning of each day
- Troubleshoot A/V equipment problems and coordinate vendor support and repair
Bachelor's Degree and 2 years of IT Services Support experience or six years of total IT Services Support experience in lieu of having a Bachelor's Degree and 2 years of experience.
Must have at least one year of direct A/V support experience
Strong Mac troubleshooting background a plus. It is preferred that the support engineer have one or more the following certifications: Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist (MCTS) in Windows 7 and/or Office 365, Apple Certified Macintosh Technician (ACMT) and/or Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP).
SAIC is a premier technology integrator, solving our nation's most complex modernization and systems engineering challenges across the defense, space, federal civilian, and intelligence markets. Our robust portfolio of offerings includes high-end solutions in systems engineering and integration; enterprise IT, including cloud services; cyber; software; advanced analytics and simulation; and training. We are a team of 23,000 strong driven by mission, united purpose, and inspired by opportunity. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $6.5 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For information on the benefits SAIC offers, see Working at SAIC. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability