SAIC is seeking a Senior Mechanical Integration and Test (I&T) Lead on the OMES II contract in support of the Restore-L program in the Satellite Servicing Projects Division (SSPD) at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center. This position is located in Greenbelt, MD.
The Restore-L mission is a Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC) Satellite Servicing Project Division (SSPD) managed mission. Restore-L is a robotic servicing mission designed to refuel a Low Earth Orbit (LEO) satellite. It contains 3 elements: the Flight Element comprised of the Restore-L Servicing Vehicle (RSV) and development testbeds, the Ground Element comprised of the systems required to conduct RSV operations and the supporting networks and facilities, and the Launch Element comprised of the Launch Vehicle and supporting facilities and services. The SSPD is responsible for the design, engineering, development, test and operations of the Restore-L Mission through an integrated team at GSFC. The Servicing Payload design, development and RSV integration will be conducted at GSFC.
The Senior Engineer will provide mechanical engineering support for the Restore-L Integration & Test subsystem. The Restore-L I&T subsystem performs the integration and test of all Restore-L hardware including the servicing payload and spacecraft bus.
Job duties include:
• Oversee, manage, and support the mechanical integration and test of all Restore-L Testbeds
• Provide expert mechanical advice and support during the entire life cycle of testbed and test development to the Testbed Leads
• Responsible for leading a group of Mechanical and I&T Engineers in design, integration, and test protocols and best practices to accomplish Testbed goals within the program’s schedule, budget, and technical requirements
• Work with Integration &Test engineers to identify hardware requirements and make recommendations for hardware needs within the Testbeds.
• Contribute to the mechanical design, test, and integration of hardware to multiple testbeds, including items related to the Client Berthing System.
• Manage conceptual design, trade studies, drawing generation, and documentation release as required
• Interpret Interface Control Drawings (ICD), including assembly manufacturing drawings, EOs and parts lists
• Ensure that the quality, accuracy, and integrity of the I&T technical documentation, reports, and deliverables comply with NASA and Restore-L standards, project plans, and policies
• Assess complex issues, recommend resolution to the team and management, and help implement resolutions
• Support, oversee, and execute I&T activities as required
• Work in lab and/or cleanroom facilities with hardware, ground support equipment, and test equipment
• Coordinate manufacturing of hardware as required
• Develop work instructions and procedures as required
• Create models, drawings, material and parts lists, and engineering change notices as required.
• Oversee technicians in hardware integration and testing
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, or closely related field with 14+ years’ experience of related experience in manufacturing, assembly, testing and mechanical system design
• Must be able to pass a Government background investigation
• Experience with hardware integration and test, system verification and validation, and systems engineering, preferably at NASA or in aerospace
• Experience in managing team of engineers and technicians
• Experience in generating models and drawings in CREO computer aided design (CAD) software or equivalent software
• Strong proficiency in resolving technical and schedule issues in order to ensure that deliverables are met on schedule
• Experienced at authoring and maintaining project documentation
• Proficiency in advising management, inside and outside own organization, on system architecture, technical results, or risks
• Thorough understanding of manufacturing and I&T project planning, scheduling, and resource management
• CREO and TDMS experience
• Proof/load testing experience
• Ability to assess requirements to generate a design and documentation using standard industry tools/programs
• Demonstrated understanding of the applicable engineering and manufacturing knowledge required for product design and testing. Exercises engineering judgment in developing appropriate decisions considering decision criteria, implications, and possible consequences, to ensure product design integrity
• Demonstrated ability to develop requirements, design documents and test plans that comply to higher-level specifications
• Knowledge of various engineering disciplines such as electrical, mechanical, thermal, and systems. The ability to communicate with technical personnel from multiple skill areas and functions to evaluate technical information and issues impacting design, production, and support of products, services, or other deliverables
• Experience with NASA mission life cycle and review cycle (design reviews, requirements reviews, integration reviews, trade studies, etc.)
• Familiarity with MIL standards and requirements and NASA standards and requirements
SAIC is a premier technology integrator solving our nation's most complex modernization and readiness challenges. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes high-end solutions in engineering, IT, and mission solutions. Using our expertise in existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions. We are 23,000 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has pro forma annual revenues of nearly $6.5 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For ongoing news, please visit our newsroom. For SAIC benefits information, see Working at SAIC. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability