Job ID: 1923795
Location: COLORADO SPRINGS, CO, United States
Date Posted: Sep 18, 2019
Category: Engineering and Sciences
Subcategory: Systems Engineer
Shift: Day Job
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Minimum Clearance Required: TS/SCI
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: TS/SCI with Poly
Potential for Teleworking: No
SAIC is seeking a Signals Processing Scientist & Communications Engineering to provide advice and expertise to the Air Force Space and Missile Systems Center (SMC) Space Superiority Systems Directorate (SMC). SMC/DirSP/ECX equips U.S. forces with space control systems to gain, maintain, and exploit space superiority. It directs the planning, development, testing, deployment, and sustainment of a complex and dynamic portfolio of space-superiority capabilities of the highest national priority. The position requires a candidate with extensive experience in technical programs, technical program management, and systems engineering of large scale space and ground systems and/or new start technical demonstration space and ground systems. The position requires a candidate with in-depth experience with DoD program acquisition processes and systems engineering for space control projects and programs. The candidate will interact and coordinate daily with numerous stakeholders (Air Force acquisition senior leadership, Program Managers, and external organizations). The successful candidate will have excellent communication and team skills. In addition, the candidate will be expected to continually balance and adjust work priorities to meet short term work suspense and rapidly evolving customer needs.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provides systems engineering expertise to integrate space control architectures and capabilities across the SMC/DirSP/ECX portfolio
- Assess program design and viability from a technical, and technical execution perspective.
- Possess and maintain specialized knowledge and technical expertise in space system design and space systems engineering.
- Apply engineering principles and techniques to identify and manage system design risks and verifies that sound risk mitigation for space systems is adequately managed. Requires coordination of contractor and Government activities and oversight of contractor, and sub-contractor efforts throughout the system life-cycle.
- Analyze program requirements and provide recommendations to Division Chief and Program Managers on integrating family of systems and systems of systems architectures
- Provide expert advice to the Program Manager and Senior Air Force Leadership regarding acquisition strategies
- Provide technical expertise to Division Chief and Program Managers
- Perform technical and programmatic assessments of contractor solutions
- Support design reviews and milestone reviews to assess progress, risks and issues, and the ability to achieve mission requirements.
Master's degree in Electrical Engineering or closely-related field
Knowledge of stochastic signal processing and digital communications
Proficiency in developing embedded and enterprise systems, especially space systems
Knowledge of Linux and associated development tools
Exceptional analytical skills and problem-solving skills
Demonstrated superb organization, decision making, and verbal and written communication skills
High level of self-initiative and self-motivation with the ability to work under minimal supervision
Ability to work effectively in small team settings to solve complex problems
- An active TS/SCI clearance with a current background investigation within 5 years and with willingness to consent to a polygraph examination.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- BS Degree- Engineering or STEAM field
- MS Degree – Systems Engineering, or STEAM field
- 18+ years of experience in technical program management and systems engineering within the Air Force community.
- Be capable of providing technical and acquisition support to Government and contractor milestone reviews to assess progress, issues, and meeting mission requirements traceability.
- Be capable of evaluating design solutions and assess architecture analysis.
- Must be able to interface with all levels of functional/division program office management to accomplish projects for the government program office.
- Must be able to work independently.
DESIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- 20+ years of experience in technical program management and systems engineering within the Air Force community.
- System Engineering experience
- Space Control mission area experience
- Prior Military Service
- Background in a technical discipline, engineering, and/or systems engineering
SAIC is a premier technology integrator, solving our nation's most complex modernization and systems engineering challenges across the defense, space, federal civilian, and intelligence markets. Our robust portfolio of offerings includes high-end solutions in systems engineering and integration; enterprise IT, including cloud services; cyber; software; advanced analytics and simulation; and training. We are a team of 23,000 strong driven by mission, united purpose, and inspired by opportunity. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $6.5 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For information on the benefits SAIC offers, see Working at SAIC. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability