Job ID: 198387
Location: COLLEGE PARK, MD, United States
Date Posted: Oct 11, 2019
Category: Engineering and Sciences
Subcategory: Systems Engineer
Shift: Day Job
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Minimum Clearance Required: Public Trust
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: None
Potential for Teleworking: No
SAIC is interested in hiring Backup and Storage Engineer for one of our programs supporting the FDA. SAIC supports the FDA and their scientists in Scientific Computing to include but not limited to; technical and research aspects (e.g., hardware, software, desktop support, infrastructure, virtualization all in a laboratory environment) supporting a variety of FDA Centers. This position will support the Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition in College Park, MD.
He/she must be able to support all aspects of the backup and storage infrastructure, which includes ensuring all scientific computing data is backed up and stored to maintain data integrity. The successful candidate will be the subject matter expert and provide proactive management of the backup and storage devices and functions. Foundational experience with engineering, administration, configuration, implementation, and evaluation of products is a must. He/she also should have a foundation in Windows and Linux, network management skills, and the ability to effectively work with other scientific computing engineers in project teams to resolve issues.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Perform an extensive evaluation of the existing EMC Isilon backup and storage infrastructure; to include the evaluation of other solutions and summary of results/recommendations
- Install, configure, and manage the EMC Isilon backup and storage infrastructure.
- Monitor the health of the backup and storage infrastructure in various datacenters.
- Manage the backup and storage infrastructure and data transfers between datacenters.
- Manage disaster recovery of the scientific computing environment, for both servers and endpoints.
- Coordinate with various engineering, network & security and server Admin teams.
- Understand all scientific computing resource integration with complex storage technologies.
- The ability to support the administration of various Windows, MacOS, and Linux operating systems.
- Manage Active Directory OU and Security group, as appropriate.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain an FDA Public Trust clearance.
To be considered for this position, the candidate must meet the minimum qualifications listed below:
- Bachelor’s in Computer Science or Related field and 9+ years of related work experience.
- Degree fields include hard science, chemistry, physics, engineering (any), information systems, and computer science.
- 5+ years of experience with relatable backup and storage environments, as well as providing effective support and capacity management oversight.
- 5+ years’ experience in the following areas: Tiered backup solutions, Enterprise network storage
- MS degree plus 25 years or PhD plus 20 years’ related experience.
- Advanced understanding of Scientific and business processes.
- Familiarity with AWS Cloud services
- Familiarity with Pure Storage solutions
SAIC is a premier technology integrator, solving our nation's most complex modernization and systems engineering challenges across the defense, space, federal civilian, and intelligence markets. Our robust portfolio of offerings includes high-end solutions in systems engineering and integration; enterprise IT, including cloud services; cyber; software; advanced analytics and simulation; and training. We are a team of 23,000 strong driven by mission, united purpose, and inspired by opportunity. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $6.5 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For information on the benefits SAIC offers, see Working at SAIC. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability