Job ID: 196813
Location: WASHINGTON, DC, United States
Date Posted: Oct 22, 2019
Category: Information Technology
Subcategory: Network Engineer
Shift: Day Job
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Minimum Clearance Required: None
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: Public Trust
Potential for Remote Work: No
We are seeking a self-motivated and knowledgeable network engineer well versed with the engineering and administration of multi protocol infrastructure, network security devices, zone-based firewalls, strong background in network, routing, switching, wireless technologies, IT security.
· Work with a technical team of engineers to meet department goals.
· Support Agency projects by participating in stakeholder meetings and design reviews to evaluate the impact to NASA HQ operations.
· Support NASA HQ projects by collecting requirements, performing deep dive investigations on service impacting issues and create future corrective action plans for dissemination to other Network Engineering teams
· Evaluate, test, and implement new solutions.
· Maximizes network performance by implementing effective monitoring, and network capacity and IP (IPv4-IPv6) addressing within the network.
· Secures network against threats by establishing and enforcing policies, performing penetration testing and proactively defining and monitoring access controls.
· Participate in all required engineering meetings for the service lines that support enterprise network services across the NASA Centers.
· Develop deployment procedures (within change management guidelines) and upgrade strategies for the network infrastructure.
· Collaborate with other teams and contractors to resolve problems for any escalated engineering issues and provide support needed to troubleshoot network issues.
· Plan, schedule, coordinate, and implement configuration changes, operating system upgrades, network maintenance activities that include firmware, hardware replacement and network infrastructure changes.
· Create and maintain network documentation and connectivity diagrams using Visio, processes documentation and other documentation of live network environments for internal and customer use.
· Communicate effectively with internal and external audiences with varying levels of technical expertise.
· Provide input for security recommendations, policy changes, security plans and data calls.
· Adhere to the organization’s policy and procedures.
· Provide after-hours support for outages and maintenance activities.
· Bachelor's degree in Network Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or a related subject (4 years experience in lieu of degree)
· 6+ years of proven, hands-on network engineering experience
· Demonstrable mastery of networking standards and protocols (e.g., IPSEC, BGP, OSPF, 802.11, QoS)
· Hands- on experience with monitoring, network diagnostic and network analytics tools
· Excellent oral and written communication skills, with an eagerness to provide outstanding customer service to internal and external clients
· Advanced degree or continued education in Computer Engineering, Computer Science or a related subject
· CCNA/CCNP or (more advanced certifications highly valued)
· Experience with wireless equipment such as point to point radios (i.e. fixed wireless, microwave)
· Experience managing large scale network construction or installation projects
· Experience working with metric, SLAs and five nine-uptime requirements.
SAIC is a premier technology integrator, solving our nation's most complex modernization and systems engineering challenges across the defense, space, federal civilian, and intelligence markets. Our robust portfolio of offerings includes high-end solutions in systems engineering and integration; enterprise IT, including cloud services; cyber; software; advanced analytics and simulation; and training. We are a team of 23,000 strong driven by mission, united purpose, and inspired by opportunity. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $6.5 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For information on the benefits SAIC offers, see Working at SAIC. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability