SAIC is seeking a Mechanical Designer on the NASA OMES II contract in support of the Restore-L Mission at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center. The position is located in Greenbelt, MD.
The Restore-L mission is a Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC) Satellite Servicing Project Division (SSPD) managed mission. Restore-L is a robotic servicing mission designed to refuel a Low Earth Orbit (LEO) satellite. It contains 3 elements: the Flight Element comprised of the Restore-L Servicing Vehicle (RSV) and development testbeds, the Ground Element comprised of the systems required to conduct RSV operations and the supporting networks and facilities, and the Launch Element comprised of the Launch Vehicle and supporting facilities and services. SSPD is responsible for the design, engineering, development, test and operations of the Restore-L Mission through an integrated team at GSFC. JOB DESCRIPTION:
• Provide conceptual and detailed design and drawing checking for mechanical parts, components, and subsystems for ground support equipment and flight hardware
• Provides design information to drafting for packaging documentation.
• Provides direction to employees and coordinate activities with a Team Lead or responsible engineer on the Project.
• Will work independently on projects, but also integrate as part of a team of engineers and other designers.
• The designer must be able to work independently on projects, but also integrate as part of a team of engineers and other designers.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s Degree in related field and 5+ years related experience.
• Knowledge of relevant technical and industry standards, i.e. knowledge of materials commonly used for aerospace, and understanding of industry fabrication techniques
• Strong CAD skills; knowledge of Pro-E/CREO, Solidworks
• Experience with spaceflight systems, components, and parts
• Ability to assess complex problems and propose practical solutionsDESIRED EXPERIENCE:
• Direct, relevant experience and familiarization with NASA systems, i.e. CM – TDMS or Windchill, a plus
• Experience with NASA mechanical and mechanism design criteria and standard practice
SAIC is a premier technology integrator, solving our nation's most complex modernization and systems engineering challenges across the defense, space, federal civilian, and intelligence markets. Our robust portfolio of offerings includes high-end solutions in systems engineering and integration; enterprise IT, including cloud services; cyber; software; advanced analytics and simulation; and training. We are a team of 23,000 strong driven by mission, united purpose, and inspired by opportunity. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $6.5 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For information on the benefits SAIC offers, see Working at SAIC. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability