Linux Systems Administrator (SR1169)
Job ID: 195328
Location: ALBUQUERQUE, NM, United States
Date Posted: Aug 14, 2019
Category: Engineering and Sciences
Subcategory: Systems Engineer
Shift: Day Job
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Minimum Clearance Required: DOE Q
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: DOE Q
Potential for Teleworking: No
SAIC is seeking a Linux Systems Administrator to join our dynamic team. You will be part of an infrastructure/platform team of four. You will join a team that is engaged on multiple projects supporting creation, delivery, and testing of automated platforms using technologies such as Ansible, VMWare, Python, and Linux Systems.
On any given day, you may be asked to:
- Apply integrated technical judgment—which requires using the scientific method to recognize and formulate problems, to collect data through observation and experimentation, and to formulate and test hypotheses—to anticipate, innovate, and deliver solutions
- Root your work in the fundamentals of science/engineering while applying a deep understanding of engineering and scientific principles
- Create and applies engineering methods used within scientific and engineering disciplines to develop or demonstrate new designs, concepts, materials, machines, products, processes, or systems
- Use physical and computational simulation, analysis, and evaluation as inherent activities of development
- Plan, conduct, and execute Sandia's science/engineering programs within the spectrum of development or demonstration
- Develop and test information processing hardware such as circuit boards, computer systems, and electrical components
- Design new or modifies existing products, develops technical specifications for production, analyzes hardware configuration and processing solutions, and tests hardware conformance to specifications
- Design, development, testing, and utilization of peripheral devices, embedded systems, computer systems, secure architectures, and networks
- Apply engineering principles to design components, products, and systems
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field and 5 years or more of related experience or 9 years or more of related experience in lieu of degree; OR Master's degree and 3 years or more of related experience; OR PhD and 0 years related experience.
- Possess experience in configuration, installation, maintenance, and administration in at least two of the following:
- Linux servers
- Storage systems
- System networking
- Strong skills in server-side application management.
- Knowledge of hardware and operating systems, including system architectures, network infrastructures, and client-server principles.
- Knowledge of virtual infrastructure technologies, including virtualization, containerization, and applications in cloud architectures.
- Knowledge of hardware and software integration and testing.
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to travel occasionally
- Ability to provide occasional after-hours support to customers when called Ability to thrive in a team environment.
- Strong customer service ethic
- An active DOE Q security clearance
- Experience with VMware applications, including ESXi and VSphere, and managing virtual environments (hardware and software)
- Experience in scripting languages; knowledge of Storage Area Networks
- Experience with Ansible
- Experience with Cisco Network Devices (Switches, Firewalls)
- Experience with project planning, cost estimation, and managing scope, risk, and schedule
- Self-motivated and collaborative with good negotiation and communication skills
- Experience with COTS make/buy decisions
- Understanding of Systems Engineering disciplines particularly requirements
- Experience with system development lifecycle
- Software defined platforms and configuration management
- Experience with large scale satellite ground systems
- Knowledge of Information Assurance policies and practices.
- Knowledge of software development methodologies, tools, and processes, including software development methodology frameworks; source code control; application development tools and techniques; database design, development, and management; programming languages; and component integration.
- Knowledge of information systems and lifecycle engineering processes such as requirements engineering, top-level functional designs, lifecycle cost analysis, risk analysis, quality engineering, configuration management, testing, reverse engineering, component integration, programming, and analysis.
SAIC is a premier technology integrator, solving our nation's most complex modernization and systems engineering challenges across the defense, space, federal civilian, and intelligence markets. Our robust portfolio of offerings includes high-end solutions in systems engineering and integration; enterprise IT, including cloud services; cyber; software; advanced analytics and simulation; and training. We are a team of 23,000 strong driven by mission, united purpose, and inspired by opportunity. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $6.5 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For information on the benefits SAIC offers, see Working at SAIC. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability