The Operations Center Technician position provides network and systems support and monitoring for the Department of Interior (DOI) data center located in Lakewood, CO which operates 24/7/365.
The technician monitors system alerts, batch processes, and performs various scheduled system checks. Based on the alerts, the technician would be responsible for performing troubleshooting steps or escalating the alert to the appropriate team. Other responsibilities include assisting with the day to day maintenance and operations of a data center.
- Monitor alerts, batch processes, and perform scheduled system checks. Follow documented procedures for any abnormalities and/or escalate to the appropriate group.
- Determine severity of problem, issue, or alarm and initiates problem resolution as appropriate; following standard escalation procedures for incident/problem tracking and resolution. Interact with support personnel on problem resolution.
- Properly document issues as appropriate within turnover documents, Remedy ticketing system, and email.
- Maintain and update an on-call database. This includes proactively reaching out to various teams to update on-call schedules and contact information.
- Assist with data center operations duties, such as racking servers, running and testing Ethernet cables.
- Update Data Center documentation within spreadsheets and Visio.
- Initiate critical incident alerts.
- Support UNIX, Linux, Windows, and IBM Z/OS Mainframe systems.
- Assist the Unix Team with junior administration functions.
- Initiate and facilitate critical incident communication protocols according to documented standards and SLA’s.
- Inform Shift Supervisor of problems encountered during shift. Document in the daily turnover logs and verbally communicate with the next shift any issues or problems that may have occurred.
- Recommend and implement process/procedure improvements that will increase efficiency or improve consistency of services. Document new and updated operating procedures in the proper repository.
- Familiar with all normal operating procedures and capable of implementing non-standard, unique, complex procedures independently.
- Ability to work closely in a diverse small team environment as well as independently.
- Provides Help Desk support after regular business hours.
- Perform password resets on Mainframe, Unix/Linux, and Windows systems.
- Monitor and maintain a secure environment for the Data Center.
Shift is 6:45 a.m.- 3:15 p.m. MST; Thursday-Monday
- HS diploma and 2+ years of related experience
- Ability to work in a 24/7/365 environment.
- Occasional alternate shift coverage to fill in for vacations/sick time.
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to follow documented processes.
- Strong communication skills (both written and oral).
- Strong troubleshooting and computer skills.
- Authorized to work in the U.S. without sponsorship.
Must be able to pass the Public Trust Government background investigation.
Prefer the Following:
- Terminal or command line OS experience (i.e. – Mainframe/Unix/Linux/PowerShell).
- Google Apps, MS Office, and MS Visio experience.
- Basic knowledge of networked environments.
- Familiarity BMC products, such as Control-M and Remedy.
SAIC is a premier technology integrator, solving our nation's most complex modernization and systems engineering challenges across the defense, space, federal civilian, and intelligence markets. Our robust portfolio of offerings includes high-end solutions in systems engineering and integration; enterprise IT, including cloud services; cyber; software; advanced analytics and simulation; and training. We are a team of 23,000 strong driven by mission, united purpose, and inspired by opportunity. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $6.5 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For information on the benefits SAIC offers, see Working at SAIC. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability