The Vanguard 2.2.1 program currently has an
opening for a Database Specialist supporting the Department of State (DoS)
Bureau of Information Resource Management (IRM). Located in Washington, DC.
Vanguard 2.2.1 currently engineers and maintains customized databases in
support of web portals and home-grown utilities to a number of IRM
organizations and requires a qualified person to perform operation and
maintenance of IRM databases.
The selected candidate will be a member of the Information
Assurance (IA) Directorate providing data entry, database analysis and
generating ad hoc reports.
Description of Duties:
- Support meeting security requirements
relating to granular access to and manipulation of customer data in the
Microsoft Access and Microsoft SQL Server.
- Compile and verify information accuracy
according to department’s guidelines and prepare data for database entry.
- Maintain schedule and requirements
for recurring and ad hoc reports using reporting repositories; generate reports
and where appropriate, interpret results and make informed recommendations to
- Respond to queries for information
and access relevant files.
- Analyze, document, and maintain
existing databases that include custom interfaces and complex workflows used by
technical and non-technical users.
- Support the use of and integration
with COTS products supporting the same or related business processes.
- Manage multiple project tasks by
prioritizing workload, multitasking, and effectively interacting with a wide
range of people
- Prepare and provide tools usage
training presentations and briefings as required.
- Maintain and document application
support tools, user and administration guides as well as data dictionaries. The
existing tools include the IRM/IA systems inventory database, Tip of the Day
application, and Xacta tools used by technical and non-technical users. The
enabling platforms span Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, GOTS, and COTS products.
- Work with teammates and customer
representatives to collect, document, review, and update business requirements
that must be supported by supporting tools and processes.
- Support the use of and integration of
custom, GOTS and COTS products supporting the same or related business
- Conduct routine research and analysis
to offer recommendations for aligning procedures with applicable governance and
- Bachelor’s Degree in related technical discipline or additional
- A minimum of five years data analyst and/or database design
experience including at least three years in a system administration support
role with various clients. Additional
experience in lieu of degree will be considered.
- Direct experience with Microsoft Access and Microsoft SQL is highly
- Experience with using Structured Query Language (SQL) to write stored
procedures and custom queries for reporting in SQL Server and Oracle
- Advanced MS Excel skills including the use of pivot tables, and
formulas to perform data analysis and update.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize,
analyze, and disseminate data and information with attention to detail and
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to
comprehend complex or technical information.
- Practical experience with
relational database design and architecture including primary/child keys,
normalization, and distributed database architecture.
- Strong oral and written communication skills with experience
working directly with customers including VIP’s and the ability to
comprehend complex or technical information.
- Strong organizational skills; ability to support multiple
tasks in a fast-paced environment with competing priorities and quick
- Ability to collaborate and work effectively in a dynamic
operations environment to meet deadlines and fulfill ad hoc tasking
- Must be capable of learning information assurance concepts
and Risk Management Framework (RMF) guidelines as described in National
Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Special Publication 800-37.
- Demonstrable experience providing customer support services
across a varied user community.
- Familiarity with the Risk Management Framework (RMF) Assessment and
Authorization (A&A) process.
- Prior experience working within the Department of State IRM bureau
will be considered as a significant plus.
(Active) with the ability to be granted a TOP SECRET clearance.
SAIC is a premier technology integrator, solving our nation's most complex modernization and systems engineering challenges across the defense, space, federal civilian, and intelligence markets. Our robust portfolio of offerings includes high-end solutions in systems engineering and integration; enterprise IT, including cloud services; cyber; software; advanced analytics and simulation; and training. We are a team of 23,000 strong driven by mission, united purpose, and inspired by opportunity. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $6.5 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For information on the benefits SAIC offers, see Working at SAIC. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability