Job ID: 194911
Location: ANDREWS AFB, MD, United States
Date Posted: Apr 30, 2020
Category: Information Technology
Subcategory: IT Systems Engineer
Shift: Day Job
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Minimum Clearance Required: Secret
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: Secret
Potential for Remote Work: No
POSITION TITLE: Storage and Virtualization Team Lead
- Oversees a Technical team that provides day to day operations by maintaining, managing, monitoring, and administering storage and virtualized server systems across multiple networks. - Responsible for making operational decisions within all VMware Suites associated with system/application activity and performance to ensure stability of the environment.
- Ensure that the VMware system is optimized for the utilization of SAN storage and resource allocation.
- Maintain the VDI infrastructure ensuring IAVA compliance by completing scheduled recomposes/refreshes
- Maintain VM snapshots
- Candidate must be able to adhere to adverse schedules due to the nature of the customer’s missions
- Expertise planning, designing and leading a variety of complex project tasks applying knowledge of network protocols, architectures and configuration changes.
- Analyze data and provide reports and metrics as needed to support engineering requirements analysis and growth planning.
- Coordinate and assign all work through the use of designated ticketing system in use by the command.
- Expertise identifying, implementing and directing project based software or hardware upgrades while adhering to Change Management Processes.
- Other responsibilities include:
- Setting up administrator and service accounts, maintaining system documentation, tuning system performance, installing system wide software, validating and implementing critical system patches, and allocating mass storage space.
- Interacts with users and evaluates vendor products.
- Assist in the implementation of policies and standards related to the use of computing resources, overall strategy, design, implementation, and operational aspects of multiple systems, operating environments, and related software.
- Schedules, plans, and oversees system upgrades.
- Develops functional requirements through interaction with end-users and coordinates with development team on systematic enhancements or changes.
- Reviews the efficiency and effectiveness of the process for controlling problems.
- Performs a variety of difficult assignments associated with monitoring and controlling computer operating systems.
- Analyzes system faults and troubleshoots and runs diagnostic tests on operating systems and hardware to detect problems.
- Evaluates and installs developed software during various phases of testing.
- Reviews and prepares documentation for systems, tests and installation of software.
- Investigates and recommends methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
- Initiates preventive maintenance on the operating systems as well as repair to system/environment problems.
- Administers systems/environment solutions for multiple projects with varying schedules.
- Interfaces with vendors for trouble calls.
- Supports the planning of system/environment requirements for individual projects.
- Producing management information related to problem management.
- Allocating resources to support efforts related to problem management.
- Monitoring the effectiveness of error control and making recommendations for improving.
- Ensuring problems are escalated and tracked at the proper priority level.
LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT:
- Supervises experienced specialist employees who exercise significant latitude and independence. - Often heads one or more departments.
- Establishes operational objectives and work plans, and delegates assignments to subordinates. - Senior management reviews objectives to determine success of operation.
- Establishes operating policies and procedures that affect departments and subordinate sections and work units. - Interprets company-wide policies and procedures.
- May involved in development of budgets, schedules and performance standards.
FREEDOM TO ACT:
- Assignments are objective oriented. - Work is reviewed in terms of meeting the organization's objectives and timelines.
- Decisions have an extended impact on work processes and outcomes. - Erroneous decisions result in critical delays and modifications to projects or operations; cause substantial expenditure of additional time, workforce, and funds; and jeopardize future business activity.
- CompTIA Security+ ce, required - ITIL, desired - MCSA, desired - VMWare Certified Professional, desired - 6+ years of professional IT experience, with at least 2 years’ experience administering and optimizing VMware products while supporting virtual servers and applications.
- Experience in optimizing VMware for utilization of SAN storage.
- A minimum of 2+ years VMware enterprise level experience. Examples of enterprise experience may include: VMware HA or VMware Site Recovery Manager.
- Experience implementing VMware with EMC storage.
- ESX 5.5/6.0/6.5 (vSphere) experience.
- HP, Dell, IBM, Cisco UCS BLADE SERVER experience.
- Experience in migrating servers according to resource requirements
- Experience with ESXi, vSphere, and IDRAC updating
- Experience in configuring VMware clusters for ease of management, support of data bases, UNIX and Windows OS.
- Experience in designing VMware environments to scale to customer demands.
- Experience in Virtual Desktop Infrastructure environments
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelors and nine (9) years or more of related experience; Masters and seven (7) years or more of related experience ; PhD or JD and four (4) years or more of related experience.
SAIC is a premier technology integrator solving our nation's most complex modernization and readiness challenges. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes high-end solutions in engineering, IT, and mission solutions. Using our expertise in existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions. We are 25,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has pro forma annual revenues of nearly $7.1 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For ongoing news, please visit our newsroom. For SAIC benefits information, see Working at SAIC. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability