The Senior Windows Engineering Lead performs high-level, day-to-day operational maintenance, support, and upgrades for complex operating systems, workstations and servers. Coordinates, directs and performs complex software installations and upgrades to operating systems and layered software packages. Schedules installations and upgrades and maintains them in accordance with established IT policies and procedures. Continually monitors and tunes multiple systems to achieve optimum performance levels. Ensures workstation/server data integrity by evaluating, implementing, and managing appropriate software and hardware solutions of varying complexities. Ensures data/media recoverability by developing and implementing a schedule of system backups and database archive operations. Plans and implements the modernization of servers. Develops, implements and promotes standard operating procedures and schedules. Conducts hardware and software audits of workstations and servers to ensure compliance with established standards, policies, and configuration guidelines. Incumbent develops and implements new standards, policies and procedures. Incumbent in this job works closely with Network and Systems Analysts to help determine and develop the systems that will be implemented.
The Senior Windows Engineering Lead shall:
- Install, configure, patch, monitor and maintain Windows 2008R, 2012 (and beyond) physical or virtual servers, troubleshoot problems, and repair server hardware
- Maintain/update VMware gold image templates for windows platforms.
- Performs routine and advanced system administration duties in a Windows Active Directory environment, configuration DNS / DHCP, and maintain appropriate Active Directory documentation.
- Leads cross-functional teams to troubleshoot and resolve complex problems that may be across multiple systems and subsystems requiring in depth knowledge of the highly sophisticated Data Center environment and IT infrastructure
- Installs and secures new servers, and maintains the server infrastructure and all forms of systems that support the Data Center environment including cabling, power, space planning, cooling management and all other dimensions in a large, complex environment
- Documents standard operating procedures and recommend updates to optimize service delivery in alignment with ITIL best practices
- Documents and implements change requests; evaluate change requests for potential enterprise wide impacts
- Performs upgrades to operating systems and layered software packages (ie. VDI components, Windows services, or other enterprise apps) as necessary.
- Leverage tools such SolarWinds to track server performance metrics. Work with tools team to deliver reporting and alerting for critical server components and provide configuration enhancements to increase operational awareness.
- Provides occasional off-hours remote support for planned maintenance work, unplanned support issues, or to meet customer SLAs. May occasionally require on-site work at a data center during off-hours
- Demonstrated knowledge of Networking topology and protocols and network management.
- Demonstrated ability to design high-level and detailed infrastructure architecture of Microsoft-based solutions such as MSSQL, PKI, Sharepoint, Search, SCOM, Exchange, SCCM, and others; and demonstrated working knowledge of Virtualizaion Technology and products such as Hper-V and Vmware.
Experience with Microsoft Windows
Previous Supervisor experience of
projects or project teams.
Experience in the implementation and
customization of Server Management and performance tooling.
Experience working knowledge of
Virtualization Technology and products such as Hyper-V.
Extensive scripting background with
PowerShell, Python, and/or bash.
Proficient in analytical project planning, negotiating, interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written.
Must possess good communication skills, be dependable, outgoing and positive with excellent problem-solving skills
Demonstrated ability to proactively monitor server components and systems, including network and storage connections, server and associated hypervisors, Active Directory, DNS, and other IT components
Understanding of distributed complex AD GPO architecture, with the ability to update and troubleshoot.
Understanding of high performing systems in a multi-domain, multi- site Windows Active Directory environment
Understanding of configuration, administration, patching, performance tuning/optimization, and troubleshooting for VMware vCenter 5.5/6.x and Windows 2008/2012 servers
Working knowledge of HEAT PatchLink, Microsoft SCCM, and/or Sophos patching
SAIC is a premier technology integrator solving our nation's most complex modernization and readiness challenges. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes high-end solutions in engineering, IT, and mission solutions. Using our expertise in existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions. We are 25,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has pro forma annual revenues of nearly $7.1 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For ongoing news, please visit our newsroom. For SAIC benefits information, see Working at SAIC. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability