Hardware Exploitation Engineer
Job ID: 187702
Location: BETHESDA, MD, United States
Date Posted: Sep 23, 2019
Category: Engineering and Sciences
Subcategory: Hardware Engr
Shift: Day Job
Minimum Clearance Required: TS/SCI
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: None
Potential for Teleworking: No
SAIC is seeking a Hardware Exploitation Engineer to support a major program at the National Media Exploitation Center (NMEC) within the National Capital Region. Duties and responsibilities include:
- Conducting technical exploitation and examination of high priority digital media to include reverse-engineering, failure analysis, and vulnerability analysis of hardware to identify exploitation opportunities.
- Modifying hardware to either enable forensic analysis of the media or to change the functionality of the hardware for other purposes.
- Performing inspection, imaging, decapsulation, deprocessing, and other activities related to hardware reverse-engineering and exploitation in a state-of-the-art microelectronics exploitation laboratory.
- Enhancing and maintaining frameworks, processes, design patterns, techniques, tools, and standards for conducting hardware exploitation of digital media.
- Keeping abreast of and reporting on scientific, engineering, and operational advances in hardware exploitation.
- Serving as a subject matter expert for the customer, its partners, and its customers.
- Performing full-scope forensic examinations from the hardware aspect of media.
- Using reverse engineering tools and methods to determine vulnerabilities of the device for technical exploitation purposes.
- Determining how a device boots/initializes, and obtaining a binary that can be used for reverse-engineering.
- Identifying the function that responds to network connections requests; understanding internal communications mechanisms; outlining the general structure of the system software; and determining how system state is altered/saved.
- Preparing technical reports; presenting results; and demonstrating system capabilities to peer review groups, managers, and sponsors.
- Leading teams and participating in the analysis of embedded platform firmware and operating systems to understand security vulnerabilities associated with various platform communication links.
- Creating and executing test plans to ensure all requirements of developed capabilities are fully-satisfied.
- Using knowledge gained through the application of reverse-engineering and other research techniques, design and develop low-level C and assembly applications for embedded ARM platforms that interface directly with platform hardware.
- Providing data recovery processes for hard drives, thumb drives, and other kind media with storage capacity.
Must have a current/active TS/SCI and be willing and able to pass a CI polygraph prior to starting.
Requires a Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering; Computer Engineering, or Electrical Engineering and at least nine (9) years of related experience.
Assembly language and C/C++ programming experience; solid understanding of programming language and operating system concepts.
Reverse-engineering skills for embedded systems with proprietary operating systems for the express purpose of introducing functionally to an already existing fielded system.
Experience examine a hardware platform to understand the software and hardware interaction of embedded systems.
Experience applying knowledge of C and Assembler software development for embedded platforms that run commercial and/or custom operating systems.
Experience with embedded system design, communication with peripheral devices at the hardware level, and reverse-engineering of system software.
Experience scripting with the following Languages: shell, Perl, Python or the like.
Experience with the following in Microprocessors/Architectures: ARM, MIPS, RISC, PowerPC, XScale, StrongARM, x86. Familiarity with microprocessor instruction sets is highly-desired.
Experience with the following Operating Systems: VxWorks, Integrity, Embedded Linux, JunOS, Linux, Unix, Windows Embedded. Experience with RTOS is highly-desired.
Experience with the following IDEs: Tornado, Workbench, VxSim, MULTI, TimeMachine, TraceEdge.
Experience with the following Hardware Tools and Debuggers: Green Hills, Probe, SuperTrace Probe, Slingshot, spectrum analyzer, logic analyzer, JTAG, Agilent Technologies equipment.
Experience with the following Software Tools and Debuggers: Wireshark, IDA Pro, OIlyDbg, pcap, gdb, make, hex editor.
Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
SAIC is a premier technology integrator, solving our nation's most complex modernization and systems engineering challenges across the defense, space, federal civilian, and intelligence markets. Our robust portfolio of offerings includes high-end solutions in systems engineering and integration; enterprise IT, including cloud services; cyber; software; advanced analytics and simulation; and training. We are a team of 23,000 strong driven by mission, united purpose, and inspired by opportunity. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $6.5 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For information on the benefits SAIC offers, see Working at SAIC. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability