Senior Hardware Exploitation Engineer
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 187698
Location: BETHESDA, MD, United States
Date Posted: Oct 21, 2019
Category: Engineering and Sciences
Subcategory: Hardware Engr
Shift: Day Job
Minimum Clearance Required: TS/SCI
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: None
Potential for Teleworking: No
SAIC is seeking a Senior Hardware Exploitation Engineer to support a major program at the National Media Exploitation Center (NMEC) within the National Capital Region. Duties and responsibilities include:
- Conduct forensic examination of high priority digital media to include:
- Overseeing the reverse-engineering, failure analysis, and vulnerability analysis of hardware to identify exploitation opportunities
- Leading the modification of hardware to either enable forensic analysis of the media or to change the functionality of the hardware for other purposes.
- Managing a microelectronics exploitation laboratory, consisting of state-of-the-art tools for inspection, imaging; decapsulation, deprocessing, and other activities related to hardware-reverse engineering and exploitation
- Directing the enhancement and maintenance of frameworks, processes, design patterns, techniques, tools, and standards for conducting hardware exploitation of digital media
- Performing full-scope forensic examinations from the hardware aspect of media.
- Employing reverse-engineering tools and methods to determine vulnerabilities of the device for technical exploitation purposes.
- Determining how a device boots/initializes, and obtaining a binary that can be used for reverse engineering.
- Identifying the function that responds to network connections requests; understanding internal communications mechanisms; outlining the general structure of the system software; and determining how system state is altered/saved
- Preparing technical reports; presenting results; and demonstrating system capabilities to peer review groups, managers, and sponsors
- Leading teams and participating in the analysis of embedded platform firmware and operating systems to understand security vulnerabilities associated with various platform communication links
- Creating and executing test plans to ensure all requirements of developed capabilities are fully-satisfied.
- Leveraging knowledge gained through the reverse-engineering and other research techniques to enhance low-level C and assembly applications for embedded ARM platforms that interface directly with platform hardware
- Providing data recovery processes for hard drives, thumb drives, and other kind media with storage capacity
- Must have a current/active TS/SCI and be willing and able to pass a CI polygraph prior to starting.
- Requires a Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, or Electrical Engineering and at least fourteen (14) years of related experience
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work independently and on a team.
- Experience with the technical and programmatic aspects of leading research and development (R&D) projects.
- Assembly language and C/C++ programming experience; solid understanding of programming language and operating system concepts.
- Reverse-engineering skills on embedded systems with proprietary operating systems for the express purpose of introducing functionally to an already existing fielded system.
- Experience examining a hardware platform to understand the software and hardware interaction of embedded systems.
- Experience with C and Assembler software development for embedded platforms that run commercial and/or custom operating systems.
- Experience with embedded system design, communication with peripheral devices at the hardware level, and reverse-engineering of system software.
- Experience with scripting Languages: shell, Perl, Python, or the like
- Experience in Microprocessors/Architectures: ARM, MlPS, RISC, PowerPC, XScale, StrongARM, x86. Familiarity with microprocessor instruction sets is highly-desired.
- Experience with the following Operating Systems: VxWorks, Integrity, Embedded Linux, JunOS, Linux, Unix, Windows Embedded. Experience with RTOS is highly-desired.
- Experience with the following IDEs: Tornado, Workbench, VxSim, MULTI, TimeMachine, TraceEdge.
- Experience using the following Hardware Tools and Debuggers: Green Hills Probe, SuperTrace Probe, Slingshot, spectrum analyzer, logic analyzer, JTAG, Agilent Technologies equipment.
- Experience using the following Software Tools and Debuggers: Wireshark, IDA Pro, OllyDbg; pcap, gdb, make, hex editor.
- Preferred: Master of Science or PhD degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, or Electrical Engineering and at least eight (8) years of related experience.
SAIC is a premier technology integrator, solving our nation's most complex modernization and systems engineering challenges across the defense, space, federal civilian, and intelligence markets. Our robust portfolio of offerings includes high-end solutions in systems engineering and integration; enterprise IT, including cloud services; cyber; software; advanced analytics and simulation; and training. We are a team of 23,000 strong driven by mission, united purpose, and inspired by opportunity. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $6.5 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For information on the benefits SAIC offers, see Working at SAIC. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability