The Senior Storage Engineer Lead performs high-level, day-to-day operational maintenance, support, and upgrades for complex operating systems, workstations and servers. Coordinates, directs and performs complex software installations and upgrades to operating systems and layered software packages. Schedules installations and upgrades and maintains them in accordance with established IT policies and procedures. Continually monitors and tunes multiple systems to achieve optimum performance levels. Ensures workstation/server data integrity by evaluating, implementing, and managing appropriate software and hardware solutions of varying complexities. Ensures data/media recoverability by developing and implementing a schedule of system backups and database archive operations. Plans and implements the modernization of servers. Develops, implements and promotes standard operating procedures and schedules. Conducts hardware and software audits of workstations and servers to ensure compliance with established standards, policies, and configuration guidelines. Develops and implements new standards, policies and procedures. Works closely with Network and Systems Analysts to help determine and develop the systems that will be implemented.
The Senior Storage Engineer Lead:
- Manages the operations of the Enterprise storage solutions (NAS, SAN, and Flash Storage types) and interconnections to attached server or other infrastructure
- Installing, provisioning, configuration, hardening or optimizing, tuning system performance, administration, setting up administrator and service accounts, maintenance, upgrade, enhancement, validating and implementing critical system patches, and allocating mass storage space using manufacturer best practices monitoring, data protection, and management of operational storage and application systems
- Delivering storage solutions that will meet IOPS, latency, HA and DR requirements.
- Proactive monitoring of components and systems, analyzes system faults, troubleshoots and runs diagnostic tests on operating systems and hardware to detect problems
- Initiates preventive maintenance as well as repair to system/environment problems
- Performs regular status checks to validate that the storage systems are not being under/over utilized in SAN fabric capabilities, array capabilities. This involves finding hot-spots, evaluating SAN network bottlenecks, and any additional performance evaluations.
- Provides support to server Systems Administrators and Backup Administrators
- Provides support and guidance to less experienced Storage Administrators
- Participates in cross- functional teams to troubleshoot and resolve complex problems that may be across multiple systems and subsystems requiring in depth knowledge of the highly sophisticated Data Center environment and IT infrastructure
- Documents and reviews standard operating procedures to optimize service delivery in alignment with ITIL best practices
- Documents and presents change requests at enterprise review change board
- Provides occasional off-hours remote support for planned maintenance work and unplanned support issues. May occasionally require on-site work at a data center during off-hours.
- Works with application owners, as well as the engineering team to execute data center operations core mission.
- Create and maintain system documentation for updates made to the infrastructure environment
- Coordinates with engineering team on systematic enhancements or changes
Works with application owners, as well as the engineering team to execute data center operations core mission.
Create and maintain system documentation for updates made to the infrastructure environment
Coordinates with engineering team on systematic enhancements or changes
Education and Experience:
Experience in design, engineering, implementing and supporting Enterprise Storage technology and solutions: SAN/NAS from the major contractors such as EMC, NetApp, Hitachi, etc.
Experience managing large enterprise storage environment (more than 2 Petabyte of storage).
Experience and hands-on skill sets in configure and optimize storage with remote replications and backup.
Experience of working knowledge of virtualization (VMware, Microsoft).
7 years of experience as Systems Engineer – storage.
5 years of experience providing formal documentation and briefings.
Previous Supervisor experience of projects or project teams.
Proficient in analytical project planning, negotiating, interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written.
SAIC is a premier technology integrator, solving our nation's most complex modernization and systems engineering challenges across the defense, space, federal civilian, and intelligence markets. Our robust portfolio of offerings includes high-end solutions in systems engineering and integration; enterprise IT, including cloud services; cyber; software; advanced analytics and simulation; and training. We are a team of 23,000 strong driven by mission, united purpose, and inspired by opportunity. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $6.5 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For information on the benefits SAIC offers, see Working at SAIC. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability