The Chief Engineer participates in all COTS/ERP software development phases (requirements, analysis, design, develop, test) to support the software implementation of COTS/ERP solutions such as Oracle, SAP or PeopleSoft or other business systems. Adhering to the agreed upon software development methodology, the Chief Engineer will collaborate with the Database Engineer and Enterprise Engineer to improve a client’s business process through the use of data integration and process improvement by leveraging the product’s standard software configuration and developing custom enhancements when necessary. Working within the software development framework, the Chief Engineer will work closely with the client to provide guidance, functional and technical experience and will incorporate knowledge of a client’s processes, to deliver scalable design specifications that will satisfy a client’s business requirement. With the use of proven development standards and enterprise approved engineering methodologies, the Chief Engineer develops the documented design and will test the solution to ensure software changes do not negatively impact the existing software environment.
Roles and Responsibilities
• Report directly to Program Manager
• Primary technical authority for all systems engineering, sustainment, cyber security, integration and testing work efforts
• Implement methodologies and approaches to establish consistency in sustainment activities and provide day-to-day oversight of sustainment team(s) conducting the following activities:
• Engineering, analysis and trade studies leading to recommendations for project investments to sustain satellite ground systems
• Systems Engineering support including Change Management, Configuration Control, Schedule Management, Risk Management, Requirements Management, and Readiness Reviews
• Transition Planning, Capability Planning, Technology Planning
• Agile Engineering & Development focused on HW/SW Refresh, Functional Improvements, and Capability Enhancement
• Integration &Testing of modifications to infrastructure and application software including development and execution of Test Plans/Procedures, Training Material, Verification & Validation activities, and Regression Testing
• Information and Cybersecurity supporting sustainment and cyber projects focused engineering and implementation of POAMs, IAVAs, Patches and STIGS, including Security Continuous Monitoring and Situation Awareness, Cyber Security Awareness & Training, and Cyber Security Assessment & Authorization
• Collaborate with NOAA customer to assess sustainment needs and requirements
• Convene regular technical reviews of systems engineering, sustainment, cyber security, integration and testing work efforts
• Review and approve all task order technical proposals for development projects
• Requires strong written and verbal presentation skills including formal and informal presentation of work and assessments to critical audience
Bachelors in Engineering, Computer Science or related field and eighteen (18) years or more experience; Masters and sixteen (16) years or more experience; PhD or JD and fifteen years or more experience
• 10 years of experience in project management, information technology solutions, operations and maintenance of networked infrastructures with a minimum of 5 years of experience with satellite ground systems
• Experience in providing sustainment solutions in a wide variety of customer and enterprise IT environments covering Infrastructure (Compute, Storage and Networking) and Application Software.
• Experience with developing trade studies, cost versus risk analyses, performance assessment, cyber security impacts
• Excellent written and presentation communication skills
• Currently hold a Secret Clearance, position may require the ability to obtain and maintain a Top Secret clearance
• Has 15+ years of Government and/or Industry experience, including 5+ years with NOAA, NASA or Air Force Space-related efforts
• Experience with Agile Development, Scaled Agile Framework, Continuous Integration Test and Deployment as part of a DevOps
• Experience with Risk Management Framework and cybersecurity accreditation and certification leading to Authority to Operate (ATO) decisions
• Leadership experience in oversight and management of satellite ground systems development, deployment, upgrades, and sustainment activities
• PMP certification desired but not necessary.
• ITIL certification desired but not necessary
• Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) Certification desired but not necessary.
SAIC is a premier technology integrator, solving our nation's most complex modernization and systems engineering challenges across the defense, space, federal civilian, and intelligence markets. Our robust portfolio of offerings includes high-end solutions in systems engineering and integration; enterprise IT, including cloud services; cyber; software; advanced analytics and simulation; and training. We are a team of 23,000 strong driven by mission, united purpose, and inspired by opportunity. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $6.5 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For information on the benefits SAIC offers, see Working at SAIC. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability