Job ID: 446320
Location: GREENBELT, MD, United States
Date Posted: May 9, 2019
Category: Engineering and Sciences
Subcategory: Systems Engineer
Shift: Day Job
Travel: Yes, 10% of the time
Minimum Clearance Required: None
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: None
Potential for Teleworking: No
SAIC is seeking a Robot Systems Engineer and Operator on the OMES II contract in support of the Restore-L program in the Satellite Servicing Projects Division (SSPD) at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center. This position is located in Greenbelt, MD.
The Restore-L mission is a Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC) Satellite Servicing Project Division (SSPD) managed mission. Restore-L is a robotic servicing mission designed to refuel a Low Earth Orbit (LEO) satellite. It contains 3 elements: the Flight Element comprised of the Restore-L Servicing Vehicle (RSV) and development testbeds, the Ground Element comprised of the systems required to conduct RSV operations and the supporting networks and facilities, and the Launch Element comprised of the Launch Vehicle and supporting facilities and services. The SSPD is responsible for the design, engineering, development, test and operations of the Restore-L Mission through an integrated team at GSFC. The Servicing Payload design, development and RSV integration will be conducted at GSFC.
The Robot Systems Engineer and Operator will provide systems engineering and robot operators support for the Restore-L Robot Subsystem. The Restore-L Robot Subsystem is responsible for developing the robotic technology for the Restore-L servicing vehicle and operating the two robotic arms during the Landsat-7 servicing operations.
Job duties include:
• Operate industrial and flight robot systems to support the development of on-orbit robotic servicing.
• Work with robot tool designers to test and refine robotic tools and operational techniques, compile findings in comprehensive reports.
• Interface with robot subsystems personnel to verify performance and operational constraints for robot operations in space. Document findings and propose solutions.
• Run key operations in simulation and visualization programs to ensure hardware safety and resolve issues.
• Write robotic ground and flight test procedures and support flight operation planning.
• Work with the robot development team to specify functional requirements, define system configurations, evaluate system performance, and test robot features
• Coordinate and lead related activities including metrology, data acquisition set up, operator training and safety monitoring.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, Computer. Engineering or Aerospace Engineering
• Must have 9+ years related experience Experience with motion control, and motion planning of dexterous robots
• Hands on experience working with complex hardware, software, and electro- mechanical systems
• Experience with spacecraft operations
• Excellent communication and teamwork skills
• Experience with kinematics of dexterous robots
• Previous on-console flight operations experience
• Experience with MATLAB/OCTAVE and analysis of large data sets, and log files
• Experience with any of the following: GIT, SVN, Spatial Analyzer, Blender, Linux or ASIST
• Experience with NASA mission life cycle and review cycle (design reviews, requirements reviews, integration reviews, trade studies, etc.)
SAIC is a premier technology integrator, solving our nation's most complex modernization and systems engineering challenges across the defense, space, federal civilian, and intelligence markets. Our robust portfolio of offerings includes high-end solutions in systems engineering and integration; enterprise IT, including cloud services; cyber; software; advanced analytics and simulation; and training. We are a team of 23,000 strong driven by mission, united purpose, and inspired by opportunity. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $6.5 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For information on the benefits SAIC offers, see Working at SAIC. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability