This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 438850
Location: CRANE, IN, United States
Date Posted: Jul 1, 2019
Category: Engineering and Sciences
Subcategory: Electrical Engr
Shift: Day Job
Travel: Yes, 10% of the time
Minimum Clearance Required: None
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: Secret
Potential for Teleworking: No
The position is a Test Engineer for the Naval Surface Warfare Center Crane’s Lake Glendora Test Facility. The facility is located in southwest Indiana on a 100 acre lake in a remote area 50 miles from the main base. Position involves test and evaluation of underwater acoustic devices, explosive devices, underwater launch systems, underwater vehicles and R&D programs developing new technologies. Responsibilities include developing test plans and methodology, design of test hardware (test platforms/fixtures, instrumentation, simulation systems), coordinate test operations, data collection and analysis.
Areas of concentration:
- Underwater Acoustics Noise Measurements:
- Measure and analyze noise produced by various underwater operations to determine radiated noise and detectability.
- Such operations include underwater missile and vehicle launches, underwater vehicle operations, diver operations, and underwater tools/devices
- Sonar Sensor and System Evaluation:
- Perform underwater acoustic evaluation to measure receive sensitivity; transmit levels, beam patterns, detection capabilities and frequency response.
- Test areas include hardware for ship and submarine sonars, swimmer detection systems, countermeasure devices, and UUVs
- Explosive Blast Pressure Measurements:
- Conduct underwater blast pressure measurements on various explosive operations to evaluate hardware and determine effects on various platforms, equipment and operators, such as shock testing
- Operation of Acoustic Imaging Systems:
- Utilize in- house acoustic imaging systems to monitor and record underwater activities, such as launches, divers, UUVs, and deployment operations
- Data Analysis and Signal Processing:
- Process recorded measurement data selected instrumentation and software packages.
- Analysis of measurement data to verify system meets design requirements:
- Analysis signal effects on diver, marine life and environmental concerns
- Test Planning:
- Test Plan Development:
- Coordinate with test customers to identify resources, design test configuration, range layout and develop execution plan to meet customer test requirements
- Development of test simulation support systems:
- Design and fabrication of specialized test platforms, support fixtures and targets to simulate the operating environment
- Conduct Risk Reduction Testing prior to Ocean Testing Instrumentation and Data Acquisition:
- Test Instrumentation selection and operation:
- Identify instrumentation required to accomplish test measurement requirements, develop interface diagram and certify appropriate calibration requirements
- Utilize automated Systems Develop interface and control programs for test instrumentation and data collection using automated software packages such as LabView and Matlab Measurement Sensors selection Such as temperature sensors, pressure sensors, strain gauge, hydrophones, blast pressure sensors, water clarity and accelerometers with dynamic range to measure specified test requirements
- Test Facility Development:
- Development and design of test capabilities to meet new technology requirements
- Test Range to support evaluation of Unmanned Underwater Vehicles (UUV) Underwater Launcher Systems for vehicles and missiles Underwater deployment and material handling systems Underwater tracking systems Floating test platforms
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelors and two (2) years or more experience; Masters and 0 years related experience in Ocean or Electronic Engineering with knowledge in underwater acoustics, ocean physics, underwater vehicles, and test instrumentation / data processing.
- Incumbent will be required to qualify for and maintain a secret security clearance.
- Both written and verbal communication skills are required for developing reports, proposals, and interfacing with customers, other Navy labs and academia to accomplish test tasks.
SAIC is a premier technology integrator, solving our nation's most complex modernization and systems engineering challenges across the defense, space, federal civilian, and intelligence markets. Our robust portfolio of offerings includes high-end solutions in systems engineering and integration; enterprise IT, including cloud services; cyber; software; advanced analytics and simulation; and training. We are a team of 23,000 strong driven by mission, united purpose, and inspired by opportunity. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $6.5 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For information on the benefits SAIC offers, see Working at SAIC. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability