This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 441623
Location: LANHAM, MD, United States
Date Posted: Feb 14, 2019
Category: Engineering and Sciences
Subcategory: Systems Engineer
Shift: Day Job
Travel: Yes, 50% of the time
Clearance Level Must Currently Possess: None
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: None
Potential for Teleworking: No
SAIC is seeking a Satellite Command and Data Handling (C&DH) Electrical Engineer to support the NASA JPSS Project. The Joint Polar Satellite System (JPSS) is the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) next-generation operational Earth observation program that acquires and distributes global environmental data primarily from multiple polar-orbiting satellites. The program plays a critical role to NOAA’s mission to understand and predict changes in weather, climate, oceans and coasts, and the space environment, which support the Nation’s economy and protect lives and property. The position is located in Greenbelt, MD.
• The C&DH engineer will assess vendor provided C&DH design, performance analyses, and implementation. The analyses provide required external interface information (data, models, and analysis) for the development of the instruments, launch services interface, spacecraft, and ground system, as described below.
• The engineer will assess the acceptability of the provided design, analyses, and implementation to meet the system requirements, which include all C&DH components for the Instruments, Spacecraft, and Satellite, which utilize RS-422, MIL-STD-1553, and SpaceWire data architectures/protocols.
• Maintain a thorough and up to date understanding of the instruments and spacecraft (including components, requirements, and interfaces) C&DH design, models, analyses, etc.
• Provide timely and thorough documentation production and review.
• Oversee the C&DH design effort of the spacecraft and instrument vendors.
• Review and approve spacecraft and instrument- level verification and validation artifacts for C&DH requirements.
• Support weekly and monthly status meeting with the spacecraft and/or instrument vendors.
• Conduct routine coordination with Government and vendor spacecraft C&DH leads as well as instrument systems engineers.
• Review and assess any data interface between the Spacecraft and an instrument including initialization, operation, and fault recovery of each interface.
• Conduct review and assessment of 1553/SpaceWire Data Timing/Utilization Analysis, which include assessments of percent bus utilization including fault recovery, nominal, and other operational modes; handshaking or time- division multiplexing protocol used to ensure that the required data retrieval rates and timings are achieved for each instrument with adequate margin; and, analysis showing that data rate requirements are met.
QualificationsREQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
SAIC is a premier technology integrator, solving our nation's most complex modernization and systems engineering challenges across the defense, space, federal civilian, and intelligence markets. Our robust portfolio of offerings includes high-end solutions in systems engineering and integration; enterprise IT, including cloud services; cyber; software; advanced analytics and simulation; and training. We are a team of 23,000 strong driven by mission, united purpose, and inspired by opportunity. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $6.5 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For information on the benefits SAIC offers, see Working at SAIC. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability