Job ID: 2400307
Location: CHANTILLY, VA, United States
Date Posted: Mar 1, 2024
Category: Engineering and Sciences
Shift: Day Job
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Minimum Clearance Required: TS/SCI
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: None
Potential for Remote Work: No Remote
Benefits: Click here
SAIC has a funded need for an Astronomer with Image Processing and Modeling/Simulation expertise to support a rapidly expanding Government Intelligence Community (IC) customer for a complex space and ground effort within the National Reconnaissance Office (NRO) in Chantilly, VA.
We are seeking an accomplished and forward-thinking astronomer with a strong background in image processing and modeling/simulation to join our vibrant team. This role will apply the astronomer’s skills in advanced image processing techniques and computer modeling to support the Space Domain Awareness (SDA) mission. The ideal candidate will have a solid foundation in observational astronomy or SDA, and a track record in developing and utilizing image processing tools.
· Image Processing: Apply advanced image processing techniques to analyze and enhance astronomical data obtained from telescopes, satellites, and other observation instruments.
· Modeling and Simulation: Develop and implement sophisticated computational models to simulate various (non)-resolved satellite images. Utilize simulation results in conjunction with observed data to gain deeper insights into optimal tracking methods.
· Data Analysis: Utilize both observational data and simulated results to inform and refine research hypotheses. Integrate data from diverse sources to create comprehensive and meaningful interpretations of data.
· Presentations: Prepare findings for presentations at customer meetings, conferences and workshops. Contribute to the dissemination of research outcomes, fostering collaboration and promoting the organizations’s work within the customer’s community.
· Stay Current: Stay up-to-date with the latest advancements in observational astronomy, image processing methods, and computational techniques. Continuously seek opportunities to improve skills and expand expertise in relevant technologies.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Astronomy, Astrophysics, or a related field: Strong educational background with expertise in observational techniques and data analysis in astronomy
· Security Clearance: Active TS/SCI with the ability to obtain a Polygraph
· Proficiency in Image Processing: Demonstrated experience in processing and analyzing astronomical images. Proficiency in image processing software (e.g., IRAF, Astropy, ImageJ) and techniques (calibration, image stacking, photometry, etc.)
· Proficiency in Computational Modeling: Ability to develop and utilize computational models to simulate astronomical phenomena. Proficiency in programming languages used in astrophysical simulations (e.g. Python, C++, Fortran)
· Research Excellence: Proven record of impactful research publications in astronomy or related fields
· Effective Communication: Excellent written and oral communication skills. Ability to convey complex scientific concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences
· Collaborative Spirit: A team player who can work effectively within interdisciplinary teams
SAIC accepts applications on an ongoing basis and there is no deadline.
SAIC® is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator driving our nation's technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.
We are approximately 24,000 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, fostering a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion, which is core to our values and important to attract and retain exceptional talent. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $6.9 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For ongoing news, please visit our newsroom.