Job ID: 2316916
Location: COLLEGE PARK, MD, United States
Date Posted: Feb 22, 2024
Subcategory: SW Engineer
Shift: Day Job
Minimum Clearance Required: None
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: Public Trust
Potential for Remote Work: Hybrid Remote
Benefits: Click here
SAIC is seeking a candidate to support the Environmental Modeling Center (EMC) of the National Centers for Environmental Prediction (NCEP) in carrying out research and development work related to the future hurricane application of the Unified Forecast System (UFS). The candidate’s work will involve
the development, execution, testing, and evaluation of data assimilation for the Hurricane Analysis and Forecast System (HAFS). The work location is at the NOAA Center for Weather and Climate Prediction (NCWCP) in College Park, MD.
The candidate will perform the job duties in a high-quality, independent, and collaborative way, assisting in managing projects and developing and applying innovative methods for the primary work areas described below. The candidate will work with EMC scientists and external collaborators to develop the
data assimilation capabilities for the HAFS. In particular, the primary work area will focus on acceleration and integration of Joint Effort for Data assimilation Integration (JEDI) into the HAFS application.
The successful candidate will work on the following scientific and engineering tasks:
- Advance the development of the hurricane DA capabilities based on JEDI;
- Assist in development and support of regional and moving nest model interfaces to JEDI to
support assimilation for HAFS;
- Implement and evaluate quality control procedures, bias correction, and error assignment for
observations assimilated in HAFS;
- Contribute to development and maintenance of the JEDI-based end-to-end application for HAFS;
- Evaluating the scientific quality of the JEDI-based hurricane data assimilation application for use
in future implementations of HAFS.
A Master’s Degree or higher in atmospheric sciences or meteorology, physical oceanography, or related physical science with at least 2 years of experience in numerical prediction and analysis systems.
Demonstrated knowledge, skills, and abilities in at least five of the following areas:
● Expert knowledge of the physical and mathematical basis of geophysical modeling.
● Advance knowledge of data assimilation with focus on the DA development for high resolution,
● Experience in model development in various infrastructures
● Advanced knowledge and experience of modern programming languages such as object-oriented
FORTRAN, python, and/or C++
● Experience working in a UNIX environment with advanced scripting languages
● Experience in working with HPC platforms (MPI, OpenMP, etc.)
● Modern software engineering practices (requirements gathering, design, prototyping, version
control, integration, testing, and documentation).
● Experience in model testing and evaluation and/or knowledge of verification principles.
● Ability to work independently and in a team environment on complex problems.
● Good oral and written communication skills in English
● Demonstrated skill in performing tasks requiring organization and attention to detail.
Candidates must be a U.S. Citizen or Green Card Holder to qualify (please indicate in your cover
SAIC accepts applications on an ongoing basis and there is no deadline.
SAIC® is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator driving our nation's technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.
We are approximately 24,000 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, fostering a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion, which is core to our values and important to attract and retain exceptional talent. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $6.9 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For ongoing news, please visit our newsroom.