SAIC is seeking an Electrical Engineer-Battery to support with US Navy in Crane, IN.
The position shall provide knowledgeable support for Lead Acid, NiZn, and Lithium battery technologies development as applied to Next Generation Submarine Battery (NGSB) Cells and Pressure Rescue Module (PRM) Cells. The NGSB Cells are defined as 500 Ah and larger and are components of 2,000 Ah batteries.
- Assisting the Government in research, development, applicable vendor history, and identifying/correcting current technical issues associated with Submarine Batteries.
- Assisting the Government in identification and review of Lithium (and other battery chemistries) Cells/Modules and string safety concerns as they apply to Navy applications with an emphasis on Submarine application. Safety concerns include, but are not limited to, topics such as thermal runaway, outgassing, venting and arc flash.
- Participating in Battery dissections, which requires an expertise in recognizing various historical failure modes in grids, negative/positive active material, separators, seals and electrolyte.
- Assisting the Government by advising in Battery market research, monitoring, and reporting, staying abreast of emerging companies and have awareness of consolidations, company stability/market share and raw supply issues that may impact Battery Manufacturing Capability
- Provide production engineering analysis of NGSB and PRM Cells and provide engineering recommendations to improve production capability in manufacturing of NGSB, PRM, Lead Acid, Lithium-Ion, NiZn, and other type of batteries.
- Support also includes performing the following for Battery Monitoring Systems (BMS) for NGSB, PRM, Lithium-Ion, NiZn, and Lead Acid Batteries tasks:
- Repair and Maintenance Actions
- Inspecting Next Generation Submarines Batteries and Verify Tech Manuals
- Submarine Battery Cells manufacturing plant process inspections
- Communicate with Government and request approval for repair actions
- Battery Module Refurbishments
- The position shall assist with Engineering Investigations (EIs) on Battery dissections, Nickel Zinc, Lithium-Ion, Lead Acid, and other battery related tasks.
- The position shall assist with Next Generation Submarine Battery development data analysis of Lithium Battery Cells and NiZn Battery cells. Also, the Contractor shall assist with Next Generation Submarine Battery Cells dissections (Lithium, Nickel Zinc, Lead Acid) and other battery related tasks.
- The position shall provide quality assurance services for vendor’s Next Generation Submarine Battery Cells (NiZn, Lithium, Lead Acid), PRM Cells, new production qualification testing support, Quality process documents reviews, and other manufacturing specifications process documents reviews and standards in compliance with ISO 9001:2000 or equivalent during the annual Quality Audits.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND CLEARANCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree and zero (0) years or more experience
- Understanding of the use and application of various battery chemistries (and also other energy storage devices such as fuel cells)
- Experience with Energy storage and power systems
- Working knowledge of Industry Standards for design and safety (e.g. UL, IEC, IATA)
- Ability to obtain a Secret Clearance
- Must be a US Citizen
- Experience with Navy manned and unmanned underwater systems
- Understanding of battery chemistries
- Military (Navy, Marine Corps) and NASA vehicles
- Low voltage (24 VDC) to high voltage (300-400 VDC) systems
- Small (< 2 kWh) to Large (> 1000 kWh) systems
- Specify and integrate associated power conversion systems
- Safety Assessments (Hazard Analyses, FMEA’s, Fault Tree Analyses, Root Cause Failure Analyses)
- Must have excellent communication skills
Covid Policy: SAIC does not require COVID-19 vaccinations or boosters. Customer site vaccination requirements must be followed when work is performed at a customer site.
SAIC® is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator driving our nation's technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.
We are approximately 24,000 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, fostering a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion, which is core to our values and important to attract and retain exceptional talent. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $6.9 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For ongoing news, please visit our newsroom.