SAIC is looking for a Marine Mammal Assistant for our Silverdale, WA location. In this role, the successful candidate will be required to perform preparation of rations, cleaning of food preparation areas, animal enclosures and commons areas, as well as maintaining and cleaning specialized equipment.
Job Duties Include:
Personnel are also responsible for the operation and maintenance of small watercraft.
Personnel perform feeding and administration of food supplements, perform observation of marine mammals, and assist with basic husbandry.
The personnel in this position may be trained to become a designated secondary handler for specific animals.
As part of an integrated military function the MMA1 performs tasks related to the care and training of marine mammals for specific marine mammal projects.
Must be able to obtain an interim secret level security clearance prior to starting work.
This position will require scuba diving. Advanced scuba skills are a plus.
Job will require working outdoors, on boats in adverse weather conditions.
All new hires will have to pass a swim & dive test in addition to possessing at minimum, a basic scuba certification.
Personnel must be able to work flexible work hours (shift work) including weekends and holidays.
A requirement for this position includes the ability to travel with animals for extended periods of time anywhere in the world, to include potentially harsh environmental and high risk locations, within 72 hours’ notice.
Required Education, Experience and Clearance to obtain:
- High school diploma (or equivalent)
- Must be able to successfully pass a Maritime Vessel Operation Color Blind Test as dictated by the contract.
- Must pass swim test & dive physical (company paid for). This happens within the first 60 days of employment.
- Must be physically fit and able to lift at least 50 lbs.
- Basic SCUBA, and ONE of the following:
- One (1) year animal training experience, OR
- Operational and navigation experience on small boats (30’ or under), OR
- USCG license (operator of un-inspected passenger vessels/6pac – 46 CFR 10.467) or higher/U.S. Navy Coxswain’s certification, and Operational experience using maritime navigational devices, OR
- Advanced scuba diving certifications (i.e. dive master, instructor, commercial diver certification, 1st or 2nd class Navy Diver classification), and current First Aid and CPR certification, OR
- Two (2) years of college and 3 months experience as a marine mammal custodian.
- Must be able to obtain an interim secret level security clearance prior to starting work;
- US Citizenship is required to meet the security requirements for this contract.
Target salary range: $35,001 - $45,000. The estimate displayed represents the typical salary range for this position based on experience and other factors.
Covid Policy: SAIC does not require COVID-19 vaccinations or boosters. Customer site vaccination requirements must be followed when work is performed at a customer site.
SAIC® is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator driving our nation's technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.
We are approximately 24,000 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, fostering a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion, which is core to our values and important to attract and retain exceptional talent. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $6.9 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For ongoing news, please visit our newsroom.