SAIC is seeking a Laser Engineer to join the National Security and Space Sector (NSS). You would work on a joint Intelligence Community (IC) and Department of Defense (DoD) crown jewel program providing highly specialized space/counter-space engineering, scientific, and analytical services from Aurora, Colorado. We support the Nation’s leading edge IC and DoD space programs and offer compelling, deep-technical work that has direct influence and impact on program development and operations. Our team has Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) across a variety of disciplines, including physics, math, RF, optics, space acquisition and operations, and intelligence collection and analysis.
This Laser Engineer will work in a collaborative team-focused environment of U.S. Government civilians and contractors solving applied technical problems and developing usable solutions for multiple space-related capabilities and threats. The ideal candidate will:
- Have the ability to conceptualize, synthesize, analyze, and assess space laser systems, applications, and effects, including characteristics, performance, concepts of operations (CONOPS), and system, component, and material susceptibilities;
- Have experience with IC and/or DoD space system development, acquisition, or operations;
- Be motivated by problem solving and creating a range of potential solutions, over actual system or component development.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Conducting specialized technical studies related to space laser systems, technologies, and effects to create actionable solutions for program managers, senior executives, and policy makers;
- Contributing to capability and CONOPs development and recommendations for emerging space laser applications, ranging from architectures to payload operations;
- Providing ongoing laser physics technical expertise;
- Developing and maintaining in-depth knowledge of U.S. national security space capabilities, Foreign space capabilities, and counter-space threats;
- Participating in complex modeling, simulation and analysis, and conducting technical trades
- Participating and representing the customer in various Government and contractor meetings and attend contractor programmatic and technical reviews (e.g. PMR, PDR, CDR, etc.) to provide technical recommendations and risk assessments;
- Frequently interacting with program managers, SETAs, FFRDCs and external stakeholders;
- Developing productive relationships with the Program Office, Prime, and Subcontract counterparts, functional IC or DoD counterparts, and other SMEs;
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Applied Physics or Optical Sciences and 18 or more years (16 or more with a Masters) of experience in laser engineering/scientific fields
- Proven experience in laser engineering, system engineering or analytical disciplines and processes applied to space systems and associated technologies
- Active TS/SCI Clearance with Special Access eligibility and consent to a Counter Intelligence (CI) polygraph. US Citizenship is required
- Fluent in specialized software tools or programming languages relevant for space systems, such as Matlab, Python, C++, or Zemax
- Demonstrated record of effective individual and group work behaviors, with abilities to proactively initiate and operate in dynamic and incompletely defined environments
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with experience conveying technical concepts, results, and summaries to internal customers, external customers, and stakeholders of diverse technical backgrounds
Strongly Desired Skills:
- Masters or Doctorate Degree in Physics, Engineering, or Mathematics
- Experience in space system acquisition or space technology development
- Understanding of bi-directional space-to-ground optical links or fielding ground optical systems for space optical links
- Experience with optical communications and space hardware testing including development of testbeds, ground support test equipment, test programs and management of test program execution for lasercom, component, units, subsystems or systems
- Experience with project or task technical leadership
Target salary range: $215,001 - $225,000. The estimate displayed represents the typical salary range for this position based on experience and other factors.
Covid Policy: SAIC does not require COVID-19 vaccinations or boosters. Customer site vaccination requirements must be followed when work is performed at a customer site.
SAIC® is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator driving our nation's technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.
We are approximately 24,000 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, fostering a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion, which is core to our values and important to attract and retain exceptional talent. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $6.9 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For ongoing news, please visit our newsroom.