Job ID: 2306854
Location: OMAHA, NE, United States
Date Posted: Aug 2, 2023
Category: Information Technology
Subcategory: Data Scientist
Shift: Day Job
Minimum Clearance Required: None
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: Secret
Potential for Remote Work: No Remote
Benefits: Click here
We are looking for a Numerical Weather Prediction (NWP) Scientist to join SAIC supporting the Air Force weather community and the TADS contract. The successful candidate will provide expertise to support and enhance NWP capabilities derived from a variety of models including, but not limited to, WRF, GFS, and the UK Met Office Model. Key tasks involve applying data assimilation techniques, developing new applications exploiting NWP data, verifying model output against observational data, working with data scientists to develop and implement machine learning and artificial intelligence methods for weather forecasting, and developing new techniques to analyze and predict the global cloud field, while working in an AWS high-performance computing (HPC) environment. The NWP Scientist will create and enhance innovative solutions that satisfy Air Force operational weather analysis and forecasting needs while working on an Agile team with scientists, data scientists, and software development staff.
• Develop NWP tools and techniques supporting the Air Force weather forecasting community.
• Support and develop operational NWP applications in an AWS HPC cloud-based environment.
• Validate NWP model skill and devise methods for continual improvement of the forecast system.
• Develop new NWP tools and techniques to analyze and predict the global cloud field.
• Perform applied research into the use of data science techniques to improve atmospheric cloud forecasts to include continuous monitoring and alerting or scientific software systems
• Work with data scientist to identify and implement machine learning and artificial intelligence methods focused on weather forecasting for military applications.
TYPICAL EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Bachelors and nine (9) years or more experience; Masters and seven (7) years or more experience ; PhD or JD and four (4) years or more experience or 13 years of experience in lieu of degree
• Experience with WRF, GFS, MM5, or other NWP systems.
• Experience with Python and FORTRAN.
• Experience developing and verifying NWP algorithms and software systems.
• Knowledge of meteorological data formats like METAR, GriB, NetCDF, etc.
Must be a US Citizen
Must be able to obtain Secret Clearance
Desired Qualifications and Experience:
• Ph.D. in Meteorology.
• Experience with variational data assimilation.
• Experience developing atmospheric cloud modeling applications
• Experience leveraging machine learning and/or artificial intelligence methods for environmental science.
• Experience with Air Force weather forecasting.
• Familiarity with the Air Force CDFS-II system
• Experience with HPC in a cloud-based environment.
• Familiarity with CLAVR-x system desired.
Covid Policy: SAIC does not require COVID-19 vaccinations or boosters. Customer site vaccination requirements must be followed when work is performed at a customer site.
SAIC® is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator driving our nation's technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.
We are approximately 24,000 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, fostering a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion, which is core to our values and important to attract and retain exceptional talent. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $6.9 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For ongoing news, please visit our newsroom.