SAIC is seeking a Senior Manufacturing Engineer to join our energized Engineering Innovation Factory Team of cross-disciplinary digital engineers to define and build the infrastructure that fuels the Digital Engineering Transformation across our entire industry and support its application / implementation on complex systems integration and delivery (SID) programs. Our work creating digital ecosystems span an exciting variety of programs, customers and corporate initiatives requiring Digital Engineering Design & Development, Modeling & Simulation, Production/Manufacturing & Quality, and Model Based Product Support applications and infrastructure deployed in Defense, Federal Civilian, and/or National Security environments. This job can be worked remotely anywhere within the U.S with some (25% or less) travel to various SAIC or customer sites.
As a key member of our Engineering Innovation Factory Team, your primary role will be to engage remote/dispersed cross-functional program teams, and sometimes travel on-site, to review contract SOWs, technical data packages, and current facilities to provide subject matter expertise to define and implement manufacturing / systems integration solutions using state-of-the-art digital engineering tools and methods. Your secondary role will be to support / lead new digital engineering (DE) solutions (e.g.- applications / tools & processes) development and deployment to both internal / external customers to further mature and increase our digital engineering capabilities in the areas of Production/Manufacturing & Quality including staying up to date with latest trends and emerging technologies, approaches, methods, and techniques.
The ideal candidate should have mid-level (e.g.-8-10yrs) experience in the Defense, Aerospace and/or Automotive industry with an emphasis in the areas of manufacturing readiness and risk assessments (e.g.-MRA/MRL, AS6500), product/systems producibility reviews / analysis (e.g.- Design Reviews / AoA, DFMEA, PFMEA), developing overarching manufacturing plans (e.g.- MIL-HDBK-896, AS6500), digital/electronic detailed manufacturing process plans / methods planning within a collaborative Digital Engineering (e.g.-PLM/ERP/MES) ecosystem, virtual facilities layout design and analysis (e.g.- XR/VR/AR) incl. modeling and simulation tools (e.g.- DES) and lean/six sigma best practices to ensure the safest and most efficient production environment where the highest quality products are delivered on-time.
Ability to perform most or all of the following duties:
- Collaborates across cross-functional departments and with stakeholders to define requirements and develop manufacturing / integration plans and solutions leveraging our Digital Engineering tools and meeting stakeholder / contract objectives
- Ability to read and interpret technical data packages (2D drawings, 3D models, material/equipment/process specifications, parts lists / bills of material (BOM), assembly / integration / test procedures, associated industry standards, etc.)
- Develop manufacturing plans, detailed methods, procedures and production lines / multiple facility level layouts for large integrated systems / platforms, sub-assemblies, cable & equipment installation, processing, machining and/or material handling / warehousing
- Identification and detailed arrangement of manufacturing resources (e.g.- outfitted / furnished workstations, equipment / machines, material handling / storage solutions) to design layouts and resources required at the facility / production line / work cell or individual workstation level
- Conduct make vs. buy analysis / decisions and develop manufacturing BOMs from engineering BOMs, or created from TDP artifacts, and generate purchasing requirements / buy parts lists as applicable
- Develop / design manufacturing process plans (e.g.- routings / methods) sequence of operations and specifies procedures for the fabrication, assembly, integration, inspection and testing of various systems/platforms, equipment, or components IAW applicable contract requirements / tech data, specifications or industry standards and compliance with applicable regulations
- Provides guidance to engineering regarding design concepts and specification requirements to best utilize equipment and manufacturing techniques improve producibility using tools such as design for manufacturing / assembly (DFM/DFA), process failure modes effects analysis (PFEMA), and design review inputs
- Develop models and utilize discrete event simulation (DES) tools to ensure most efficient and productive layouts, including layouts and transportation models across multiple facilities as applicable
- Develops, inspects, mines, transforms, and models data to improve productivity, decision making, and gain competitive advantage in an engineering setting to support metrics dashboards development and modeling and simulation
- Leveraging our existing digital engineering (DE) tools, and identifying and implementing new tools, develops new, or enhances existing, DE solutions from initial concept to fully tested production capabilities; and demonstrates results to a broad range of stakeholders
- Bachelor's Degree in Industrial Eng., Manufacturing Eng., Mechanical Eng. or other Engineering related discipline from an ABET accredited college and 5+ years of experience, or a Master's Degree and 3+ years of experience.
- 5+ years’ experience in a similar role support/leading small to large project teams, preferred in the Defense, Aerospace or Automotive industries
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Use of configuration / product lifecycle management applications (Aras Innovator, Windchill), CAD (2D and 3D modeling) applications (Solidworks, CREO, Auto-CAD) and ERP/MRP & MES/SFC applications (Deltek Costpoint ERP, iBASEt Solumina MES)
- Ability to solve a variety of complex problems in the absence of technical guidelines and when creative thinking is required
- Demonstrated ability to read & interpret technical data / drawing requirements to develop manufacturing process plans or detailed work instructions
- Familiarity with lean/six-sigma manufacturing methods and techniques
- Demonstrated ability to track and manage cost, quality, and schedule in a manufacturing environment
- Demonstrated ability to plan, coordinate, and set up production work cells and facility layouts across various manufacturing and systems integration processes, including assessing impacts and incorporation of changes driven from demand (rate changes), new / revised design, production line / factory relocation or make vs. buy changes
- Proven ability to work effectively and collaborate in a dynamic, fast paced, team-oriented environment
- Strong understanding and ability to transform and integrate existing data sets with demonstrated knowledge of mathematical and statistical applications to support modeling and simulation
Additional Preferred Skills:
- Prior experience developing models and utilizing discrete event simulation (DES) tools (e.g.- Simio, Arena, Simul8) to optimize facility layouts and production lines/processes realizing; improved throughput / capacity, labor / equipment efficiencies and/or reduced manufacturing risk
- Scripting language experience (C#, Python, Matlab, VBA, etc.)
- Green Belt or Black Belt trained/certifications in lean/six-sigma to drive continuous improvement
- Certifications or knowledge of IPC-610, IPC-620, J-STD-001
- Electro-mechanical, cable & harness assembly/fabrication experience
- Tooling and fixture design including modeling & Additive Manufacturing / 3D printing
Covid Policy: SAIC does not require COVID-19 vaccinations or boosters. Customer site vaccination requirements must be followed when work is performed at a customer site.
SAIC® is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator driving our nation's technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence, and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.
We are approximately 26,000 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, fostering a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion, which is core to our values and important to attract and retain exceptional talent. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $7.4 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For ongoing news, please visit our newsroom.