SAIC is currently seeking to hire a Technical Writer to support The Software, Simulation, Systems Engineering and Integration (S3I) Directorate’s Aviation Integration Lab (SAIL) located on Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville, Alabama.
Note, this position does allow flexibility to work a hybrid schedule working onsite and telework.
The Software, Simulation, Systems Engineering and Integration (S3I) Directorate’s Aviation Integration Lab (SAIL) is a portfolio of government products and services that includes test support of Blue Force Tracking data link and clear/secure communications among labs, test units, and field units; prototype engineering, development, and testing of various new technologies; and hardware and software upgrades to small- and medium-sized Army systems, along with development and update of associated Technical Data Package (TDP) and logistics products to include provisioning data, technical manuals, etc. The SAIL Team has in-depth experience in hardware and software integration and in development of supporting hardware and software documentation to define and support fielded systems.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create and update technical documentation (e.g., operator manuals, maintenance manuals, plans, procedures, et. al.) for Department of Defense (DoD) systems.
- Coordinate peer reviews of draft documentation. Address comments and incorporate redlines from peer reviews.
- Support formal testing, validation, or verification events by capturing and maintaining redlines to documentation, incorporating redlines, and coordinating with project team and external stakeholders.
- Create, edit, and manipulate graphics for use in documentation, using applications such as Microsoft Visio, Adobe DC, Adobe Illustrator, VisEx Edit Plus, VisEx Edit 3D, etc.
- Use 2D engineering drawings to locate parts or components by drawing number, part number or find number. Harvest graphics from engineering drawings for use in technical documentation.
- Inspect and operate systems, or work alongside technicians to troubleshoot, disassemble, and reassemble systems, to create written procedures. Subsystems may include engine, fuel, cooling, body, mechanical, electrical, electronic, hydraulic, pneumatic, software, etc.
- Establish and maintain liaison with people in other organizations to report and describe problems discovered in newly-released data type descriptions and style sheets. Report progress on problem resolution to team leadership.
- Become proficient with structured document authoring and publishing tools such as PTC Arbortext® Editor™, PTC Arbortext® Styler™, Interactive Authoring and Display Software (IADS), and Notepad++.
- Communicate with leadership, other members of the team, and the customer to ensure a common understanding of requirements, status, action items, issues, etc.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field and six (6) years or more of experience; Four (4) years' experience can be accepted in lieu of degree.
Required Experience and Qualifications:
- Experience creating and updating technical documentation (e.g., operator manuals, maintenance manuals, plans, procedures, et. al.) for Department of Defense (DoD) systems.
- Experience supporting formal testing, validation, or verification events: capturing and maintaining redlines to documentation, incorporating redlines, coordinating with project team and external stakeholders.
- Experience using XML editing and publishing tools to create structured documents, specifically PTC Arbortext® Editor™ and PTC Arbortext® Styler™, and Interactive Authoring and Display Software (IADS).
- Experience or familiarity with creating, editing, and manipulating graphics for use in documentation, using applications such as Microsoft Visio, Adobe DC, Adobe Illustrator, et. al.
- Experience with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Familiarity with reading 2D engineering drawings to locate parts or components by drawing number, part number or find number, or by tracing up or down through assemblies.
Preferred Experience and Qualifications
- Familiarity with the following reference standards, handbooks, and technical bulletins:
- MIL-STD-40051-1/-2, Department of Defense Standard Practice: Preparation of Digital Technical Information for Interactive Electronic Technical Manuals (IETMs)
- MIL-HDBK-1222, Military Handbook: Guide to the General Style and Format of U.S. Army Work Package Technical Manuals
- MIL-PRF-63002, Performance Specification: Manuals, Technical; Requirements for Preparation of Modification Work Orders (MWOs)
- TB 750-93-1, Functional Grouping Codes: Combat, Tactical, and Support Vehicles and Special Purpose Equipment
- Experience with using TortoiseSVN or similar tool for developmental configuration management of data files in a distributed multiuser work environment.
- Experience writing user/support/maintenance/engineering documentation while working on an interdisciplinary team (engineers, technicians, logisticians, testers, et. al.).
Must be able to obtain and maintain a Secret Security clearance.
Covid Policy: SAIC does not require COVID-19 vaccinations or boosters. Customer site vaccination requirements must be followed when work is performed at a customer site.
SAIC® is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator driving our nation's technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence, and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.
We are approximately 26,000 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, fostering a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion, which is core to our values and important to attract and retain exceptional talent. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $7.4 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For ongoing news, please visit our newsroom.