SAIC is seeking a highly motivated Senior Cloud Systems Administrator to join our expanding, multi-disciplined team of professionals at our Identity and Data Sciences Laboratory (IDSL) in Upper Marlboro, MD. The selected individual will be instrumental in the administration, management, and configuration control of the IDSL's cloud-based systems for large scale data analytics processing. These next generation, high availability, scalable environments are leveraged by the IDSL team in the evaluation of emerging hardware and software technologies designed to improve the efficiency, effectiveness, and satisfaction of travel and trade processes used by our customers.
The IDSL team operates the Maryland Test Facility (MdTF; http://mdtf.org) to carry out both small- and large-scale technology evaluations in support of our customer requirements. The candidate will join a team composed of scientists, engineers, and subject matter experts working to design, build, and execute experiments in support of customer goals. The successful candidate will enjoy working in a hands-on environment with work primarily being performed onsite in a research setting, with additional opportunities to support field tests and pilots.
The Senior Cloud Systems Administrator will:
- Have extensive technical knowledge of virtual machines and applications operating in IaaS, PaaS and SaaS environments.
- Build, deploy, and manage instances of FedRamp compliant cloud infrastructure and services in GovCloud environments.
- Perform high-level, day-to-day operational administration of complex multi-user cloud-based computing systems including user management, authentication, audits, patches, and upgrades.
- Coordinate, schedule and perform software installations to cloud based operating systems, layered software packages, and databases.
- Ensure data integrity by evaluating, implementing, and managing appropriate software and hardware solutions of varying complexities.
- Ensure data/media recoverability by developing and implementing a schedule of system backups and database archive operations in accordance with industry best practices.
- Monitor the software and network performance of cloud-based data stores, servers, and databases, troubleshooting and repairing issues as they arise and making recommendations for enhancements to improve usability, performance and efficiency.
- Test, evaluate, and recommend next generation software applications and virtualized services for suitability for deployment on managed cloud systems.
- Maintain system security strategies, policies, and procedures in support of Approval to Operate (ATO) certifications.
- Develop, implement, and promulgate standard operating procedures and schedules.
- Maintain technical expertise of relevant industry standards and in-cloud computing and virtualization technologies such as cloud service provider architecture, design, and configuration; cloud deployment models including public, community, private, and hybrid; cloud service delivery models including infrastructure-, platform-, and software-as-a-service; automation; hypervisors; containers; virtual compute, storage, and networks; virtual infrastructure management; self-provisioning; and scaling.
- Train other team members in the day-to-day operational support duties related to cloud infrastructure administration and management.
- Bachelors and five (5) years or more experience; Masters and three (3) years or more experience; PhD and 0 years related experience. Additional experience in lieu of a degree.
- Candidate must be a US Citizen.
- Must be able to obtain DHS Suitability Public Trust.
- Prior experience with government ATO processes, procedures, and administrative support requirements including multi-factor authentication.
- Fully understands and complies with FedRamp and FISMA requirements and procedures for cloud computing.
- Experience managing current day operating systems including both Windows and Linux server configurations.
- Possesses meticulous organizational skills with experience in administrative support documentation, log file analysis, system audits, and other record keeping practices.
- Willing to iterate and adapt system support requirements to changing requirements and conditions.
- Strong writing skills and can clearly articulate and document technical plans, findings, and recommendations.
- Enjoys working in a multi-disciplined team environment but able to work independently when needed.
- Understands the proper communication techniques to effectively elicit requirements for a task.
- Is an excellent communicator that can effectively collaborate with team members as well as interact with customers.
- AWS, Azure, and/or GCS certification.
- Knowledge of container management platforms such as Kubernetes and Docker.
- Hands-on experience administering and maintaining hybrid cloud architectures, multiple cloud providers, disaster recovery as a service (DRaaS) providers, and PaaS/SaaS providers.
- Demonstrated experience making administrative decisions based on information assurance standards, scalability, extensibility, supportability, and sustainability.
- CompTIA Cloud+, Cisco CCNA Cloud or CCSP certification.
- Experience with internet routing protocols and concepts: TCP/IP, BGP, MPLS, ISIS and/or OSPF
- Operational experience with VMware vSphere, Backup Exec, and Patch Manager a strong plus.
- Hands-on coding skills in one or more programming languages such as Python, Perl, R, Ruby, Java, and .NET.
Covid Policy: SAIC does not require COVID-19 vaccinations or boosters. Customer site vaccination requirements must be followed when work is performed at a customer site.
SAIC® is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator driving our nation's technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence, and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.
We are approximately 26,000 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, fostering a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion, which is core to our values and important to attract and retain exceptional talent. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $7.4 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For ongoing news, please visit our newsroom.