Job ID: 2216303
Location: HOUSTON, TX, United States
Date Posted: Nov 2, 2022
Category: Engineering and Sciences
Subcategory: Sys Safety Engr
Shift: Day Job
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Minimum Clearance Required: None
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: Public Trust
Potential for Remote Work: Hybrid Remote
Benefits: Click here
SAIC offers exciting and challenging opportunities to support NASA’s present and future human spaceflight programs at the NASA Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas under the Safety and Mission Assurance Engineering (SMAEC II) Contract. This is an exciting time to be making history with the NASA SMA team assuring continuous human presence on the International Space Station and returning humans to the Moon and then to Mars safely. You will work in a collaborative environment comprised of NASA engineers, Mission Control personnel and astronauts. You will apply design and operations knowledge and expertise in various areas of SMA such as system safety, reliability, quality engineering and assurance, software, probabilistic risk assessment, and others.
The Artemis Campaign Division (ACD) Integration Engineer will be responsible for ensuring the integrated mission design and proposed operations comply with all applicable Safety and Mission Assurance (S&MA) requirements, and that all flight safety risks have been identified, characterized and mitigated to an acceptable level to support certification of flight readiness. Some travel to vendors, prime contractor sites, and/or vehicle processing centers may be required. Specific tasks include:
- Evaluation of integrated system architecture and concept of operations for compliance to NASA Safety and Mission Assurance requirements
- Development of integrated, mission level hazard and crew survival analysis including development of hazard cause trees, identification of potential integrated hazards, hazard causes, hazard controls and verifications
- Development of mission level crew survival analysis to identify specific system capabilities and contingency operations which could be used to mitigate loss of crew risk in the event of a catastrophic hazard
- Evaluation of changes to requirements, system designs and planned operations for potential impacts to flight safety and mission success
- Evaluation of prime contractor processes and products including hazard analysis, failure modes and effects analysis, design verification analysis, reliability and maintainability analysis, limited life item time/cycle tracking reports, hardware qualification and acceptance test reports
- Identify, characterize and provide recommendations regarding mitigation of safety and mission assurance risks to senior management
- Participate in mission level trade studies to identify and quantify S&MA impacts associated with proposed options / alternatives under consideration
- Participation in failure analysis and problem resolution
- Coordination and resolution of issues impacting flight safety and mission success across affected programs and stakeholders - Collect and analyze data for risk assessments and reliability and maintainability reports
- Must be a US citizen and able to pass a public trust security clearance.
EDUCATION: BS in Aerospace, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or other science degree.
- Minimum 10 - 15 years related experience
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communications skills
- High degree of technical excellence, integrity, and self-initiative
- Ability to work effectively across multiple organizations / stakeholders and within a teaming environment to get results
- Ability to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches, and propose innovative solutions to technical problems
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office tools (Word, Power Point, Excel)
- Knowledge of Safety and Mission Assurance requirements, processes, tools and products, including qualitative and quantitative techniques for characterizing risks
- Experience performing system safety analyses (hazard analysis, crew survival analysis) of complex systems / operations
- Experience performing root cause analysis and development of fault trees to support anomaly / non-conformance investigations
Covid Policy: SAIC does not require COVID-19 vaccinations or boosters. Customer site vaccination requirements must be followed when work is performed at a customer site.
SAIC® is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator driving our nation's technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence, and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.
We are approximately 26,000 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, fostering a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion, which is core to our values and important to attract and retain exceptional talent. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $7.4 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For ongoing news, please visit our newsroom.