The Active Directory Architect provides support, implementation, and design services for Microsoft’s on-premises and cloud identity platforms to including but not limited to Microsoft Windows Active Directory (AD), Microsoft Azure Active Directory (AAD), Microsoft Active Directory Federation Services (ADFS) and Microsoft Azure Application Proxy (AZAP). The Active Directory Architect is also a subject matter expert in using Active Directory Group Policy to implement security standards on Domain Controllers, Domain Member Servers and Domain Member Workstations.
This role requires an in-depth knowledge of the Active Directory, Domain controllers, Azure Cloud, and a proficiency in PowerShell scripting. The candidate must have demonstrated prior and active experience in managing multi-domain issues. The candidate will support the continuing goal of incorporating these innovative technologies into the Department of State (DOS) technical modernization program.
The successful candidate will be a self-starter, someone who can work independently, and will be flexible in a fast-paced environment.
This is temporarily a hybrid remote role due to Covid-19, but could be asked to return to the office at the request of the customer.
- Applies advanced subject matter knowledge to solve complex business issues and is regarded as a subject matter expert.
- Frequently contributes to the development of new ideas and methods. Works on complex problems where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of multiple factors.
- Acts as an expert providing direction and guidance to process improvements and establishing policies.
- Participates as a member of and leads development teams. Performs analysis of complex functional and business requirements. Prepares code stubs for others. Completes code to implement solutions. Designs solutions for others to code. Participates in cross-functional teams. Leads design activities May provide mentoring and guidance to other developers. Designs, prepares, and executes Unit tests.
- Demonstrates technical leadership and exerts influence outside of the immediate team. Develops innovative team solutions to complex problems. Contributes to strategic direction for teams.
- Applies in-depth or broad technical knowledge to provide maintenance solutions across one or more technology areas
- Independently implements end-user or enterprise infrastructure or services of significant complexity.
- Integrates technical expertise and business understanding to create superior solutions for the company and customers. Mentors and consults with team members and other organizations, customers, and vendors on complex issues.
- Exercises significant independent judgment within broadly defined policies and practices to determine the best method for accomplishing work and achieving objectives.
- Develop comprehensive and accurate reports and presentations for both technical and executive audiences.
- Create and document detailed guides and tracking documents - for clients to leverage as part of Active Directory hardening and overall infrastructure enhancements.
- Tier 3 level troubleshooting including diagnosing complex replication and multi domain issues.
- Develop standards, target states, roadmaps, effectively communicating and obtaining consensus across architecture, engineering, and operations teams
Required Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree with 10+ years of recent system engineering experience. Additional training and experience may be substituted in lieu of a degree.
- Expert knowledge administering AD, AAD and ADFS in hybrid environments
- Expert knowledge administering AD and AAD support services such as AAD Conditional Access Policies, AAD Self-Service Password Reset (SSPR), AAD Connect and Windows Server DNS
- Expert knowledge designing, testing, deploying and maintaining Active Directory Group Policy (GPO) for the purpose of securing Domain Controllers, Domain Member Servers and Domain Member Workstations
- Expert analyzing security risks with proposed changed to AD, AAD, ADFS, AZAP, Domain Controllers, GPOs, etc. and providing an understandable summary of those risks to management for proper implementation decisions
- Experience administering multiple AD forests with forest trusts.
- Knowledge of third-party AD support services such as Quest Active Roles, Quest Change Auditor for AD
- Knowledge of Microsoft Identity Manager
- Knowledge on configuring, deploying and onboarding applications for remote access via AZAP, including the use of Kerberos constrained delegation (KCD) for Single Sign On.
- Must have a deep and thorough understanding of monitoring best practices,
- Extensive experience with infrastructure and server theories, principles, and concepts; application infrastructure and standards; networking fundamentals
- Experience translating technical issues into understandable business language for end-users
- Experience working with cyber security teams to actively update AAD conditional access policy and AD Group Policies as determined by cyber threats and operational requirements
- Knowledge of Software as a Service (SaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS) and Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) – as it pertains to Enterprise Domain design and support
- Experience as a subject matter expert (SME) Senior Active Directory System Engineer or Architect in a large AD environment with the proven ability to coordinate technical efforts and resolve issues across multiple teams.
- Strong working knowledge of Windows 2016 and 2019 Member Servers and Domain Controller operating systems platforms, DNS, networks, DMZs, network security zones
- PowerShell scripting experience and capabilities
- Expert knowledge of ADDS, ADFS, Azure AD and Windows Server Operating Systems 2016 & up.
- Hands-on expertise with Azure AD Connect and AD Cloud SaaS.
- US Citizenship
- Must have an Interim Secret Clearance to start work with the ability to obtain Top Secret
Covid Policy: SAIC does not require COVID-19 vaccinations or boosters. Customer site vaccination requirements must be followed when work is performed at a customer site.
SAIC® is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator driving our nation's technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence, and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.
We are approximately 26,000 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, fostering a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion, which is core to our values and important to attract and retain exceptional talent. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $7.4 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For ongoing news, please visit our newsroom.