SAIC is seeking a Servicing Test Lead on the OMES II contract in support of the On-Orbit Servicing Assembly and Manufacturing OSAM-1 program, NASA’s Exploration and In-Space Services Projects (NExIS) division. This position is located at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC) in Greenbelt, MD.
OSAM-1 is a robotic servicing mission designed to refuel a Low Earth Orbit (LEO) satellite. It contains 3 elements: the Flight Element comprised of the OSAM-1 Servicing Vehicle (RSV) and development testbeds, the Ground Element comprised of the systems required to conduct RSV operations and the supporting networks and facilities, and the Launch Element comprised of the Launch Vehicle and supporting facilities and services. NExIS is responsible for the design, engineering, development, test, and operations of the OSAM-1 Mission through an integrated team at GSFC. The Servicing Payload design, development and RSV integration will be conducted at GSFC.
The engineer will support the OSAM-1 Servicing Phase Lead in leading, managing, and executing the system-level tests for servicing. Servicing tests are primarily run in the Servicing Testbed prior to flight integration and test and the SV for flight hardware. Additional testbeds or flight elements may be utilized.
Job duties include:
- Manage the integration and test flow for the Servicing Testbed.
- Manage, Lead, and Execute developmental and System-Level Tests for Servicing Testbed in coordination with the Servicing Phase Lead and Test Lead.
- Responsible for all activities occurring in their respective Testbed.
- Manages and documents the Testbed Configuration, ensures that the Testbed configurations will support tests as defined in test documentation and certifies the Testbed for use.
- Oversees and/or executes the receiving and acceptance (R&A) Process for Testbed deliverables, Testbed configuration changes, functional tests, and certifications.
- Works with Product Design Leads (PDLs) to identify harness, cooling, mechanical/electrical ground support equipment (EGSE/MGSE) needs and notifies Testbed Manager of scope and any resource modifications that are needed.
- Maintains the Testbed portion of the Integrated Master Schedule (IMS) schedule.
- Coordinates the near term deliveries of items to the Testbed with the PDLs in accordance with the IMS.
- Generates WOAs for Servicing Testbed Activities.
- Coordinates and leads the Test Readiness Review Process for Certified Tests with Test Lead (if designated).
- Holds daily standups as needed and ensures all stakeholders and support personnel are invited.
- Maintains the Testbed detailed Outlook schedule for daily Testbed activities.
- Supports or provides representation at the Testbed I&T weekly meeting.
- Servicing tests are primarily run in the Servicing Testbed prior to flight I&T and the SV for flight hardware. Additional testbeds or flight elements may be utilized.
- Identify requirements to be validated and/or verified during the test.
- Formulate test plans, procedures, and work order authorization documents.
- Coordinate with the OSAM-1 integration and test team to ensure test readiness.
- Prepare and lead test readiness reviews.
- Oversee execution of the tests.
- Lead post-test analysis of test data.
- Generate test reports.
- Assess complex issues and recommend resolution to the team and management; implement resolutions.
- Ensure that the quality, accuracy, and integrity of the technical documentation, reports, and deliverables comply with NASA and OSAM-1 standards, project plans, and policies.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelors and eigtheen (18) years or more experience; Masters and sixteen (16) years or more experience; PhD or JD and fifteen years or more experience
- Understanding and application of standard principles, theories, concepts and techniques in engineering of aerospace systems.
- Experience with hardware integration and test, system verification and validation, and/or systems engineering, preferably in the aerospace industry.
- Experience in planning and/or executing tests (e.g. functional, performance, environmental) on components and/or complex systems. Experience in evaluation of test data.
- Experience in authoring and maintaining technical documentation.
- Proficiency in resolving technical and schedule issues in order to ensure that deliverables are met on schedule.
- Ability to obtain/maintain NASA Electrostatic Discharge (ESD) certification (GSFC-SH-ESDCO300 300-PG-8730.6.1A*). English proficiency is required to successfully complete the required training and pass testing (written and/or hands-on) to obtain NASA ESD certification.
- Skilled in working in large teams of multidisciplinary engineers and technicians with different viewpoints and responsibilities. Comfortable working in and encouraging a team-oriented environment. Willingness to work outside of one’s area of technical expertise.
- Skilled in coordinating sharing of resources.
- Skilled in troubleshooting and resolving technical problems with complex technical systems. Skilled at determining corrective action and/or workarounds to such problems.
- Experience in requirements development, validation, and verification.
- Experience in designing tests (of varying scales and fidelity) that help validate a design or verify a set of requirements.
- Experience with technical risk assessment.
- Experience in developing formal test documentation (e.g. plans, procedures, reports), managing test runs, tracking and evaluating test results, and measuring progress.
- Experience in system integration and test of aerospace systems (e.g. spacecraft, flight instruments, launch vehicles).
- Experience handling hardware of varying fidelity and cost (e.g. mockups / breadboards, engineering development units, flight hardware).
- Experience with robotic systems or complex mechanisms.
- Experience with CAD / 3D modeling software (e.g. Windchill, Creo) and interpreting engineering drawings.
- Experience with standard computational software (e.g. Matlab, MathCAD).
- Proficiency in exercising discretion and independent judgment in evaluating potential approaches and solutions to critical problems and determining appropriate resolutions.
- Proficiency in recommending deviations from established policies and procedures.
- Ability to attend to assignments with only limited direction.
- Experience with NASA (or equivalent) mission life cycle and review cycle (design reviews, requirements reviews, integration reviews, trade studies, etc.).
- Proficiency in communicating with and adapting to different audiences (e.g. test conductors, technical leads, technical management, project management).
Covid Policy: SAIC does not require COVID-19 vaccinations or boosters. Customer site vaccination requirements must be followed when work is performed at a customer site.
SAIC® is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator driving our nation's technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence, and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.
We are more than 26,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, fostering a respectful work culture based on diversity, equity, and inclusion that values all contributors. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $7.1 billion. For more information, visit saic.com.