SAIC is seeking an Electrical Harness Technician on the OMES II contract in support of the Capture/Containment Return System (CCRS) project, part of the Mars Sample Return (MSR) mission. This position is located in Greenbelt, MD.
CCRS is a joint effort between Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC), NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL), and the European Space Agency (ESA). The MSR mission aims to collect samples from the Martian surface and return those samples to Earth for analysis. Many components of CCRS will be developed, integrated, and tested at GSFC.
The technician will provide cable and harness assembly support OSAM-1 Ground Support Equipment needs, and may support flight fabrication as well.
Job duties include:
- Perform repairs, fabrication, modification and installation of electrical wiring harnesses, cables, wires, wiring assemblies and associated parts for electrical ground support equipment and flight hardware
- Read and interpret work instructions, schematics, wirelists and drawings.
- Perform connector pin crimping, soldering, cabling and chassis wiring
- May be utilized in other electrical Integration and Test activities as well, depending on experience and qualifications.
- Ensure quality of the hardware is maintained and NASA quality and safety standards and procedures are followed.
- Ensure work is done with completeness, accuracy, adherence to operation sheets, ISO procedures, schedules and assigned tasks.
- Compile, record, and analyze test data and results to determine conformance to supplied documentation
- Communicate recommendations, issues, and risks to engineers and management
- Support the engineers in assessing and recommending design modifications.
- Maintain relevant certifications and knowledge of industry standard practices, procedures, and parts
- May participate in planning for procurement and kitting
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- AA degree in relevant field and 6+ years of relevant experience or HS diploma and 8+ years of relevant experience required
- Cable harness fabrication and assembly experience, preferably at NASA or for a spaceflight/aerospace application
- Ability to perform soldering and crimping
- Knowledge of tools and equipment to perform required functions
- Ability to accomplish complex wiring tasks
- Experience with various hand tools and test equipment to include: multi-meters, vector network analyzers, copper certification testers, retention testers, and basic hand tools.
- Ability to read, interpret, understand, apply, and enforce engineering, technical, and maintenance specifications, policies, standards and procedures to ensure the quality and safety of assemblies
- Ability to communicate with the project engineer/designer on any issues pertaining to the task
- Ability to work within specific compliance standards and with accepted practices and work assignments
- Ability to obtain and maintain all relevant trainings and certification
- IPC J-STD-001, NASA 8739, and/or IPC-620 certification training
- Experience with polymeric applications
- Experience working with program requirements, equipment performance specs, wire connection lists, schematics, wire gauge sizing, connector selection and related cabling and harnessing documentation
- Knowledge of Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) and Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) considerations with respect to electrical design
- Familiarity with MIL standards and requirements, NASA standards and requirements, AS9100 or ISO 9001
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to work as a team member
- Must be capable of functioning in multi-disciplined design teams across multiple systems
- Able to plan and prioritize work effort and quickly respond to issues and questions.
Covid Policy: SAIC does not require COVID-19 vaccinations or boosters. Customer site vaccination requirements must be followed when work is performed at a customer site.
SAIC® is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator driving our nation's technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence, and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.
We are approximately 26,000 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, fostering a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion, which is core to our values and important to attract and retain exceptional talent. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $7.4 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For ongoing news, please visit our newsroom.