The Department of State, Bureau of Information Resource Management (IRM) currently provides its users with a full suite of IT services. In support of these services, the IT Operations Center Manager will oversee and manage approx. 15 operational support and personnel who provide major incident tracking and collaboration services to the Department. The Operations Manager will provide leadership, mentoring, and in-depth day-to-day technical guidance and management oversight to a team dedicated to tracking high urgency and high impact problems within the Departments IT services. The well-qualified candidate will possess and apply sound management principles and be able to set the tone and pace for the ITOC team. The candidate must be a self-starter, have excellent written and verbal communications skills, and supervision experience.
Description of Duties
- Meet or Exceed all operational and performance based metrics associated with the major incident and critical service request processes.
- Ensure all major incidents and VIP incidents are attended to or resolved promptly and efficiently.
- Regularly monitor, review, and analyze operational processes to determine/recommend opportunities for improvement and/or training initiatives.
- Ensure Shift Leads (Day, Swing, and Mid shifts) are apprised of the current planned/unplanned outages, ongoing Engineering initiatives, and internal/external communications.
- Monitor performance of all shift personnel to ensure they are meeting/exceeding all operational coverage and performance metrics, following documented SOPs, and providing regular support and reports (as requested or directed) in a timely manner.
- Ensure all major incident and service request tickets are thoroughly documented per SOPs to include analysis of the incident/service request, troubleshooting and resolution steps takes, and follow up with customers (as necessary).
- Ensure all major incidents and service requests are promptly escalated across Tiered support per SOPs and to IRM management.
- Ensure all ITOC personnel provide prompt and professional service to customers and provide guidance to support staff as required.
- Maintain enterprise awareness of system maintenance and outages, as well as world events that could impact IT operations.
- Communicate all planned/unplanned service outages to management, Service Leads, and Senior Watch Officers supporting the IT Operations Center.
- Frequently communicate with IRM leadership on upcoming maintenance activities, unplanned events, and Foreign Post status to ensure they have situational awareness of the IT status of the Department.
- Lead training for new personnel and provide targeted training based on the overall performance of the ITOC staff.
- Identify, notify, and address operational deficiencies with Government Technical Manager and Service Lead.
- Promptly notify management of potential system problems or customer issues
- Ensure all required reporting is completed correctly, edited, proofread and ready for dissemination. Some of these reports may include staff’s production tickets (daily/weekly/monthly tickets received, tickets closed, tickets pending, etc.), turnover information, daily shift log, and hot issues reports.
- Perform candidate screening and interviews for potential new hires.
Location of Service Desk and Systems support services include:
SA-9: The ITOC’s primary call center location for personnel. Personnel in SA-09 take calls with the goal of collecting information on the status of IT systems with the Department, directing VIP call resolution, create major incident tickets, update tickets, direct a quorum to resolve ongoing major outages, document the resolution effort and escalate as necessary to upper management as needed. Staff at this location work on a per shift basis 7 x 24 hrs.
This is temporarily a hybrid remote role due to Covid-19, but could be asked to return to the office at the request of the customer.
Required Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in related technical discipline and fourteen (14) or more years of experience in any foundational IT area: Wide Area Networking, Active Directory Operation, Firewall Operations, System Administration. May accept additional experience in lieu of degree
- Working knowledge of IT service delivery best practices in major incident and service request resolution and management.
- Self-motivated problem solver possessing effective troubleshooting skills as it relates to IT issues.
- Strong oral and written communication skills with experience working directly with customers including VIPs.
- Highly skilled with all of Microsoft’s Office suite
- Strong organizational skills; ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment with competing priorities and quick turnaround deliverables.
- Working knowledge of Service Now.
- Ability to resolve conflict and drive results between different functional teams.
- Ability to obtain a TOP SECRET.
Desired Experience, Skills, & Attributes
- ITIL v4 Foundation
- Past Operations Center management experience
- Certification in relevant IT products/technologies.
Covid Policy: SAIC does not require COVID-19 vaccinations or boosters. Customer site vaccination requirements must be followed when work is performed at a customer site.
SAIC® is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator driving our nation's technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence, and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.
We are more than 26,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, fostering a respectful work culture based on diversity, equity, and inclusion that values all contributors. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $7.1 billion. For more information, visit saic.com.