SAIC is supporting the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) in providing comprehensive river and flood forecasts and warnings, for use by the public and emergency managers to protect life and property. This critical water intelligence also supports socio-economic decision-making for a sustained and enhanced economy. We are seeking a Training and Research Meteorologist to fill a position supporting the Weather Prediction Center (WPC) of the National Centers for Environmental Prediction (NCEP). The position will be based at the WPC in College Park, MD, within the NOAA Center for Weather and Climate Prediction (NCWCP). The NCWCP is a highly collaborative environment containing several NOAA organizations, including the Environmental Modeling Center (EMC) and Climate Prediction Center (CPC) as well as being in close proximity to the University of Maryland. The contractor will serve as a Training and Research Meteorologist in WPC’s International Desks servicing World Meteorological Organization (WMO) Regions III and IV (Central/South America along with the Caribbean). In this capacity the incumbent will work with scientists within NOAA, WMO, National Meteorological and Hydrological Services (NMHS) from WMO Regions III and IV, as well as partners outside of NOAA to identify and evaluate promising forecast techniques for improved weather forecasts. They will work with this community on research topics for WMO Regions III and IV to enhance the transition of research to operations, and assist in the training of forecasters from WMO Regions III and IV. The incumbent will also work to publish results from studies in peer-reviewed journals.
Areas of particular need and interest to be addressed include the forecasting of heavy precipitation associated with tropical cyclones, warm-season convection, and atmospheric rivers. Additional areas of focus include the use of ensemble model output and forecaster generation of probabilistic products, as well as exploring future roles of weather forecasters.
- Developing and Administering Forecaster Training in Spanish and English
- Collaborate with partners (NOAA, Academia, NMHS, and WMO) to develop training and conduct research on meteorological forecast problems in WMO Regions III and IV.
- Plan and Conduct Remote Training for WMO Region III and IV NMHS.
- Develop training materials to transition new forecast tools and techniques.
- Assist in the documentation of current and existing features
- Provide technical communication and collaboration with other teams where appropriate
- Take personal ownership of problems and drive them to solutions
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelors and two (2+) years or more experience; Masters and zero plus (1+)years related experience in meteorology, atmospheric science or similar
- (Spanish/English) Excellent oral and written communication skills are highly desired and a strong ability to work in a collaborative team environment is needed for the position.
- Extensive knowledge of weather forecasting (emphasis on quantitative precipitation forecasting) from short to medium range, and their application to hazardous weather diagnosis and prediction, and creation/dissemination of probabilistic hazard information.
- Knowledge of statistical methods in meteorology and strong analytical skills
- Experience with Linux operating systems with programming experience (i.e. - Python, Perl, R, Shell Programming)
- Experience with developing and administering meteorological training material
- Experience with meteorological display software, i.e. - ArcGIS, NCL, GEMPAK, etc.
Covid Policy: SAIC does not require COVID-19 vaccinations or boosters. Customer site vaccination requirements must be followed when work is performed at a customer site.
SAIC® is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator driving our nation's technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence, and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.
We are more than 26,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, fostering a respectful work culture based on diversity, equity, and inclusion that values all contributors. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $7.1 billion. For more information, visit saic.com.