Job ID: 2210349
Location: LANHAM, MD, United States
Date Posted: Aug 18, 2022
Category: Engineering and Sciences
Subcategory: Systems Engineer
Shift: Day Job
Minimum Clearance Required: None
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: Public Trust
Potential for Remote Work: No Remote
Benefits: Click here
SAIC is seeking an AWS Software Developer with Java and/or C skills who will serve as a member of the NASA Joint Polar Satellite System (JPSS) Ground Project, Data Products and Management Services (DPMS) team leading the development and maintenance of the Government Resource for Algorithm Verification, Independent Testing, and Evaluation (GRAVITE) system.
JPSS is the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) next-generation operational Earth observation program that acquires and distributes global environmental data primarily from multiple polar-orbiting satellites. The program plays a critical role to NOAA’s mission to understand and predict changes in weather, climate, oceans and coasts, and the space environment, which support the Nation’s economy and protect lives and property.
The activities for this work require a qualified software engineer to support the planning, implementation, and growth of the Product Data Quality System (PDQS) within the AWS cloud infrastructure. Participating in the continuous integration and deployment methodology for product monitoring, alerts, trending, and plotting. Work alongside architecture and engineering teams to design and implement Task Detector, File Set Data Extractor, Data Quality Analyzer, Alerting & Monitoring. Implement continuous integration/continuous delivery (CI/CD) pipelines to include development of the PDQS software backend services and/or frontend UIs.
This system will be developed in the NESDIS Cloud Infrastructure Service (NCIS) as a pilot, and then migrated to the NESDIS Common Cloud Framework (NCCF)
The work activities may include:
- Designing, developing and testing of Java based applications in an integrated development environment.
- Determine future builds based on customer needs.
- Assess and update processes on the development team based on NASA standards.
- Development of web based GUIs.
- Developing and testing of very large and very dynamic databases that have many frequent updates – PostgreSQL
- Assisting the team with the management and performance of the large databases of observed and model-generated data for quality control, archival and efficient retrieval.
- Supporting the I&T team on integration and testing.
- Helping to optimize the application code for high performance on LINUX servers.
- Determining the priority of discrepancies.
- Building schedules.
- Assessing and updating software documentation.
- Helping to integrate the Java and PostgreSQL based applications in an integrated development environment.
- Migrating existing systems into AWS Cloud.
Education and Experience:
Responsible for supporting the setup, maintaining, and evolving the cloud infrastructure of web applications. Understand the core AWS services and apply best practices:
Covid Policy: SAIC does not require COVID-19 vaccinations or boosters. Customer site vaccination requirements must be followed when work is performed at a customer site.
SAIC® is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator driving our nation's technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence, and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.
We are more than 26,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, fostering a respectful work culture based on diversity, equity, and inclusion that values all contributors. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $7.1 billion. For more information, visit saic.com.