Linguist - All Languages and Dialects - DHS-ICE Job
Date: May 19, 2013
Location: Mclean, VA, US
SAIC is seeking experienced linguists in a variety of languages for a nationwide contract with Immigration and Customer Enforcement (ICE) and the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA). We are seeking linguists who are native speakers of a foreign language and fluent in English to support anticipated federal contracts. Candidates must be able to monitor, translate, transcribe, and interpret communications in English and the source language. This work is project based and assignments can last anywhere from one day to six months. Most work is on average 30 days in duration and may require travel to various locations nationwide.
JOB DUTIES: All Linguists must be capable of performing the following duties that may be assigned at any time.
- (Monitoring (listening to), recording, translating, transcribing, and synopsizing the content of real-time oral communications intercepts.
- Transcribing from storage media, including but not limited to: audiocassettes, videocassettes or digital media, and typing in both the required foreign language and English.
- Preparing typed English translations from other source media
- Performing quality control reviews of completed work.
- Validating the accuracy of completed translation and transcriptions.
- Appearing in court when subpoenaed to testify.
- Interpreting oral conversations simultaneously.
SALARY Commensurate with skills and experience.
TRAVEL Travel may be required depending on availability and location of assignment
CLEARANCE Preferable: ICE Clearance OR DISCO Issued clearance. Applicants without clearance are welcome to apply and will be subject to the standard background investigation conducted by the government and must meet eligibility and suitability requirements.
New applicants will be considered qualified if they are:
1. Able to pass a background investigation,
2. A native speaker of the foreign language with an excellent command of the English language
3. A U.S. citizen or legal resident.
4. Current on all credit obligations.
5. Have no criminal record.
6. Reside within the U.S. for 3 consecutive years of the last 5 years.
- U.S. citizenship OR Lawful Permanent U.S. Resident
- Must pass oral and language evaluations in both the source language and English
- Computer literacy
- Proficiency with a variety of storage media (audio cassettes, video cassettes, digital media)
- Ability to work well under pressure to meet specific deadlines
- Ability to listen and comprehend the required foreign language with native or near-native ability and the ability to follow accurately the basic elements of conversations and telephone calls
- Ability to comprehend slang and colloquial expressions in the required foreign language and translate them into their English equivalent
List of Languages required:
Chinese - Yunnanese
Philippine - Cebuano/Visayan
Philippine - Ilocano
Philippine - Tagalog
Chinese - Fukien (Min Nan)
Chinese - Fuzchou
Chinese - Hakka
Chinese - Mandarin
Chinese - Minbei (Fuzhou)
Chinese - Minnan (Hokkien-Taiwanese)
Chinese - Taiwanese
Chinese - Wenzhou (Wu)
Chinese - Wu (Shanghainese)
Chinese - Xiang (Hunanese)
Chinese - Yue (Cantonese)
TYPICAL EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: HS diploma and 2 to 4 years general work experience. Work experience may be substituted for education and education may be substituted for work experience.
- AA/AS = Two (2) years general experience;
- BA/BS = Six (6) years general experience.
- MS/MA = Ten (10) years general experience;
- PhD = Thirteen (13) years general experience. 3. Maintain the integrity and meaning of the material. 4. Write reports, such as a gist, summary, transcript or full translation in the time allotted. 5. Must be proficient in MS Office programs (Word, Excel) and using a computer and devices.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE SHOULD POSSESS THE FOLLOWING SKILLS: 1. Able and willing to live and work in austere conditions 2. To have the physical and mental capacity to function in a high operational tempo and in crisis situations 3. Must be able to carry a 50-pound load and stack material 5' high. 4. Must have previous overseas deployment experience supporting contingency operations 5. Needs to have knowledge of U.S. Intelligence Community.
SAIC is a FORTUNE 500® scientific, engineering, and technology applications company that uses its deep domain knowledge to solve problems of vital importance to the nation and the world, in national security, energy and the environment, critical infrastructure, and health. The company's approximately 41,000 employees serve customers in the U.S. Department of Defense, the intelligence community, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, other U.S. Government civil agencies and selected commercial markets. Headquartered in McLean, Va., SAIC had annual revenues of $11.1 billion for its fiscal year ended January 31, 2011. For more information, visit www.saic.com. SAIC: From Science to Solutions®
Job Posting: Nov 28, 2012, 3:00:10 PM
Primary Location: United States-VA-MCLEAN
Clearance Level Must Currently Possess: None
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: Secret
Potential for Teleworking: No
Shift: Day Job
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
Job Segments: Engineer, Linguist, Bilingual, QC, Military Intelligence, Engineering, Quality, Government